08/2014
Country
Uni
State
TEXAS
City
Deep in the Heart of
Hi all,

Some of you know me here, but for those of you who don't, I was diagnosed with the UMN Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia at Houston Methodist back in 2014. At the time, I was in my 30s and experiencing a great deal of stiffness in my legs, difficulty walking, and had started falling. I finally went to a neurologist when I suddenly realized I could not lift my feet off the ground even one millimeter to stand on my heels. I was diagnosed on the basis on having global hyperreflexes, clonus, and spastiticy.

However, the next year I went to the NIH to do a study for MNDs and they told me they didn't think I had HSP due to other emerging symptoms, including dystonia in my hands and feets, along with muscle wasting in the same. This set me off on another 5 years of searching for another diagnosis, which included: dopa-responsive dystonia, early onset parkinsons, and "faking it". In 2018, I decided to stop looking for an answer because it just got too hard emotionally.

In February of this year, I got food poisoning, and it totally crashed my system. I lost probably 75 percent of my already impaired ability overnight, which was scary. I decided it was time to start looking again. I've long been aware of the NIH's Undiagnosed program, but always assumed my symptoms weren't "exotic" enough. I decided to apply, though, and made it through the initial round but was turned down after the second review. They suggested some other tests that I could complete to be reconsidered, which I did. And today I received word that I was accepted into the program!

I'm so excited. It's been a long, hard 12 years since all of this started.

I wanted to post here, in part to update the people I know here, but also to be able to add a data point to "sometimes it looks like a motor neuron disorder, enough so that you might even be diagnosed with one, and sometimes, it still ... isn't." I hope to be able to post an update with an actual diagnosis one day!

Suzannah

Congratulations. I hope you get an answer and one that has some treatment. Do keep in touch

We have talked about NIH before. It was actually my favorite study. Shhh don’t tell the other studies!

Great news, Suzannah, though very sorry to hear food poisoning was such a setback for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back