Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
11/2023
Country
US
State
WA
Here's a white paper written in just 2022.

Dutasteride is a medication that treats benign prostatic hyperplasia and symptoms of an enlarged prostate. It's often used off label for hair loss. Could there be a link between DHT and ALS?

Summary of the white paper:

Dutasteride is a possible candidate for the treatment of ALS. This molecule shows neuroprotective effects against glutamate toxicity in animal models, which opens new paths due to the direct implication of the neurotransmitter excitability in ALS. In addition, it also shows anti-inflammatory activity, as it has been observed that it reduces the secretion of both IL-6 and TNFα in vitro and decreases the activation of microglia in the brain. Reducing the TNFα increase could counteract the inflammation and oxidation levels caused by abnormal protein aggregates, which, together with its ability to inhibit the Keap1–Nrf2 interaction, would complete its anti-inflammatory activity. In turn, steroid hormones, increased by the inhibition of the 5AR activity due to dutasteride, are shown to be powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agents, and they are capable of stabilizing the BBB and reducing the excitotoxicity caused by excess glutamate. T, PROG and 17BE can also inhibit microglial activation, thus playing a neuroprotective role, and especially in relation to the altered DA activity in the disease. Regarding the mutations and protein aggregates identified in ALS, the increase in T could also counteract the formation of aggregates of FUS, VCP and TDP-43, which, in turn, are linked to C9ORF72 mutations. All of these processes are directly related to the pathogenesis of ALS, which is why hormone therapy seems to be a good alternative against it.

The activity of dutasteride and its hormonal products could clinically improve ALS. On the basis of the extensive muscle deterioration and atrophy in this type of patient, androgen therapies restore the neuromuscular-junction function and increase the muscle mass, which improve the functional capacity and quality of life. Because there are few studies in this field, the possible benefits of dutasteride administration as a therapeutic alternative for ALS should be studied in depth, and especially its impact on the steroid-hormone levels in serum and CSF, and its relationship with protein aggregates.

interesting this is written by a PhD candidate in health sciences. It is theory and as noted in the paper no direct bench work has happened with this for ALS. Since even things that seem promising in lab petri dishes and animals don’t pan out it definitely needs more study first preclinically and then if still looking feasible in drug trials

Same paper originally posted. Good luck

Thank you for sharing this! I am going to reach out to my husband’s neurologist and/or primary care provider and ask for this medication.

It was trialled in Kennedy's, another motor neuron disease, and abandoned. I would also check condition interactions and contraindications first thing, because there are a lot of possible side effects. Hypertension is a particular concern. Also, it cannot be touched by women who are pregnant or might become so -- and note that the capsule has to be swallowed whole --

Last edited:
Ugh, it can’t be crushed? If it has to be swallowed whole then it’s crossed off the list right now …

Yes, it does.

It may be rash, but I have nothing to lose, so I am trying a new cocktail of cheap, available drugs (including Dutasteride) which have good rationale for use in ALS or are already in trials. I am C9orf72 so metformin is a no brainer (Laura Ranum's studies and no in trials). Just started this at low dose 500mg and will escalate weekly to normal diabetes dose of 2000mg/day as in current trial. I have hypertension so my GP has agreed to prescribe Terazosin (in trials in Oxford after good mouse data). Started on 2mg/day and working up to 10mg/day as in ongoing trial. I haven't received the dutasteride yet. Dose TBC. I will monitor side effects carefully but have not found any info suggesting bad drug interactions. I will post here if this improves my symptoms. I won't know if it is slowing it down so will only post signs of improvement.

Good luck. I am c9 and I found riluzole tudca and metformin to be a combination that put me into a plateau and decreased my nfl. I stopped metformin for a while secondary to side effects. I have progressed and my nfl went back up. I am now back on metformin and tolerating it. Will be monitoring my blood chemistries more closely. There is research that high glycemic index foods may slow progression so maybe I can have my cake and eat it too 😀

Thanks Nikki. I will add tudca back to my combination therapy. I don't know how to get nfl tested in the UK but will monitor my symptoms very closely and keep trying to walk again. I've been in a wheelchair since last October, but can still stand and transfer.

I know some people in Europe have got nfl levels done. Not sure where and how We have only had it clinically since summer 2022 in the US It isn’t a perfect test but it is certainly better than nothing

Good luck Vivienne and please update. My husband has had no plateau this whole time of 18 months since diagnosis (in my opinion). He’s on all 3 R’s and is bulbar. I’m still considering trying to get him the dustaeride to try. I feel like we don’t have anything to lose …

I had a search and can't find any way to test my NFL privately. I will ask my neurologist at King's College since they published the original biomarker study. Everything is so slow in the UK. My C9orf72 result took over a year to come through. I have no obvious family history so they didn't know what they were looking for so had to have whole genome sequence done. I could have been on metformin so much earlier, and perhaps stopped my disease before it forced me into wheelchair. It makes me very angry. We only have riluzole offered here, not edarvone or AMX0035. Are there any C9 forum threads on this site? perhaps it would be good to start one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back