Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
UT
City
OP
I’ve had constant twitching in my calves for over two years now. I was able to overcome the anxiety of that and move on.

However, for the last three months I’ve had very odd sensations in my shoulders, triceps and upper back/right below the shoulder blade. The muscles fatigue very quickly and I have burning sensations. I’ve noticed that my shoulder muscles have definitely atrophied, especially on the back under the shoulder blade. I slouch like crazy and it’s caused pain in my shoulders and upper back. I know it’s said that pain means it’s not ALS but my father had a lot of pain before he was diagnosed. My symptoms seems to closely mirror my fathers early symptoms .

My main question is that I had a EMG two years ago. It was in my lower extremities but they also did the lower part of my spine, hands and lower back. Everything was clean Except for some fasciculations that showed up. Would an EMG 2+ years ago pick up any signs of abnormalities even though it isn’t directly in the places I’m experience issues?

Mod note- past threads here:

Did your doctor diagnose atrophy? What did your doctor say of the relevance of your past EMG to what is happening now?

I am sorry you can't seem to move past ALS, fearing this for years is a huge waste of all you do have.

Your EMG was done on an area which was symptomatic at the time, and it was still negative. Furthermore you have not described failure despite over two years of symptoms, so you really don’t have to fear ALS.

Lots of other conditions can be associated with atrophy including localized musculoskeletal processes.

So no ALS for you.

To clarify, I haven’t worried about having ALS for the last 2.5 years. I was able to move past it for the past two years. I had 6 dark months and was good until recently.

However, the last few months I’ve experienced a lot of bigger issues. I’m not going to get into all of them because I know that no one one here can diagnose anything and that I need to see a doctor.

I was more curious about EMGs and how far out the test could potentially pick up any issues. I’ve read in numerous places that they pick up things far before you even experience issues.

I’ll move on and wait until my next doc appointment. Thanks for everyone’s time and energy into helping others. Time is precious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back