Not open for further replies.

Purpleflowers16

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
I posted back in August last year as I had been experiencing twitching muscles in both my arms and legs constantly all day every day. Because I suffer with health anxiety I saw a neurologist and he said I was normal in my clinical exam with no sign of ALS but would do an EMG to put my mind at ease.

I had the EMG in all 4 of my symptomatic limbs, calf’s, thighs and bicep and triceps. All normal.

I have since got therapy for my health anxiety and have been doing really well.
Until a few weeks ago when I started to feel a lump feeling in my throat, and some things taking a while to swallow ie tablets and bread etc.
I have a hiatus hernia and acid reflux and I’m experiencing a lot of phlegm say in the back of my throat which feels hard to swallow and clear my throat. My throat is also a bit sore when I swallow hard and hoarse sometimes.
I have contacted my doctor as I suspect it’s my reflux causing my throat and swallowing problems. Does anyone know if these issues can be caused by reflux? And do they differ from bulbar onset?
Of course now my mind won’t stop going to what if it’s Bulbar?
While I understand that it’s my health anxiety and this is how it works, I just wanted to ask you if it is possible for bulbar to present itself almost 12 months after starting with twitching muscles?

And I want to keep reminding myself of the clear EMG in the symptomatic limbs but then my ‘what if’ part of my brain says yes but they didn’t test your bulbar region.

Thank you in advance for any clarification on my question.

You answered all your own questions -- good job!
Bulbar onset would not occur as you described, and you don't go from limb twitching to bulbar onset a year later.
If you had ALS when the EMG was done, it would have been abnormal and there would have been progression during the last year.
Reflux can indeed cause the issues you describe. You might want to adjust your diet or meds. Many people also find it helpful to change when they drink liquid relative to eating -- like more/less before/after a meal. And warm vs. cold.
All the best.

Throat lozenges can help a sore throat. Nothing you've described is bulbar onset.

Good luck

3 senior members now completely assuring you that this is now how bulbar ALS happens, just as you know in your rational brain.
I hope you get it checked as it could be easily treated and something quite simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back