Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2023
Country
US
State
CA
HI, I have Kaiser N California for ins.. They have covered all my meds including neudexa without a problem.. So far the only real practical symptom I have is mild dysarthria so all is good.. My only problem is that Kaiser will not refill Radicava for more than 1 month at a time due to cost they say..We travel a lot as we are retired and I am still healthy. I was wondering how common it is to get 3 month coverage for refills? Having to always come back for my drugs is not always easy. I have had them shipped to a Mailboxes then fedex to me where I happen to be..but that gets $$ and can cut it close to the timing of the dosing. I use the Covered California ACÁ exchange for my ins so I can change yrly or if we move.. I try to stay on top of the ins issue. Just wondering what is the norm.. I am not on medicare. Thanks for any info..

As an expensive drug for a relatively rare condition, Radicava is under the specialty pharmacy benefit, so for you, I believe the National Kaiser Specialty Pharmacy is the only way to get more than a month's worth at a time. If you haven't tried them, it's 877 404 5777. If you haven't contacted them as yet, I would start with explaining your situation. If they are unimpressed, you might offer to get your neuro to send a letter certifying the medical necessity of 90-day fills, which may not work, but you can try.

Last edited:
Premera approved my husband’s prescriptions for Radicava ORS and Relyvrio for either 6 months or a year (I can’t remember right now and I don’t have the letter nearby). He’s stopped the relyvrio due to the trial failure, but is still taking the Radicava. We get it through Accredo.

Oh whoops - maybe I misunderstood your question. His Radicava does arrive monthly and I haven’t asked them to send multiple doses at a time.

From my understanding, I get my Radicava from CVS Caremark and they will only dispense the drug in 1 month intervals due to expiration date of it. My insurance requires prior authorization from my neurologist and the prescription is written for 12 months.

Thanks for everyone’s reply. My neuro wrote a note so Kaiser said they would give me a 60 day supply one time only.. So I will go with that for now.. They approved Radicava for a yr at a time.. My neuro stressed to me to “ go live your life” since I am still able.. I just need to figure out a better drug refill method if it’s possible. .. We are mostly on the west coast so I am hoping I can work a way to pick it up at Kaisers in Or and Washington if I am that way.. we travel in an Rv in the summer and fall.. while we can! Thanks again for all your help and info

Back