Neurological Symptoms Since September of 2023 - ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordyTwoShoes

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hi Everyone,

So beginning in September of 2023 (Labor Day) I began feeling off balance and sudden faintness, not dizzy, when walking around or doing everyday normal activities. These symptoms began to get worse, and eventually was accompanied by tingling in both hands and feet. I also began to have problems finding words and was generally very fatigued. I decided to go to the doctor and they gave me a blood test. Everything generally came back normal, except for slightly high triglycerides and a B12 level of 222 pg/mL. The doctor never really said anything and I went about my business. However, the symptoms never got any better and really only began to get worse. The tingling began increasing, accompanied by hand numbness. I also could tell my walking was becoming a bit more difficult. I wouldn't describe it as leg weakness, but I was favoring my right leg and it felt as if my left leg was lagging behind a bit.

Things ultimately were at it's worse when in December I began feeling sharp pinches all over my body, including on my abdomen, my face, really just everywhere. I decided to go to another doctor and told him my symptoms, and showed him my previous blood test. He thought that my B12 was quite low for someone of my age and size (30 and 215lbs). He prescribed me B12 pills and a shot to take once a week. He also referred me to an ENT and ordered an MRI as they were worried it could be MS. Luckily the MRI came back clean, as did my ENT check up. Since taking the B12 pills, and now having 3 B12 shots in me, the tingling in my hands and feet have largely gone away and I do feel like my walking has improved (less favoring of right leg)

However, I still have many symptoms, some of which have remained (such as feeling off balance - especially in places with tall ceilings). My feeling of faintness that rushes upon me occasionally pops up when walking. And the most recent and concerning symptoms I am experiencing are that both of my hands/forearms feel stiff. I also began having pretty bad tinnitus, and my jaw has become tight/tired and fatigued when chewing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I look for answers. The last few months have been quite tolling, and I am looking to get on my feet and feeling energized.

Thanks!
Max

I'm wondering what labs you've had, as there are autoimmune and infectious disorders that could relate, including long Covid and vasculopathies. I would ask about a rheumatology referral.

Last edited:
I did have a Lyme like ring on my back in mid-August after camping which was never tested, but the doctor did look at it and believed it to be ring worm.

Labs I have had include blood test, which were normal, and MRI which came back clean, and a hearing test / ENT visit that all were clean. I My mom does have mild Lupus, and my Dad has the gene for Parkinson's. As far as I am aware, the last time I had Covid was back in December of 2022.

Thank you for suggesting a rheumatology referral, as this has not been mentioned to me before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back