Not open for further replies.

missluuluu495

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2023
Country
US
I am 40 and was diagnosed in May. My husband blames me for ruining his life. He has started throwing my things away, complaining about clutter. He refuses to take me out with our young kids because he says it’s too much work. He has made me a punishment with the kids. “Are you going to be good or you sleep/stay home with the mother”. He cusses at me when ever he has to help me. I just got a feeding tube, now he looks at me with disgust and refuses to help me shower anymore. He’s said he hopes I die soon.

My friends and family want me to move out. But I can’t imagine spending what time I have left not seeing my kids daily.

I am very sorry to hear this. Is this a big change from your previous relationship? Does he have other issues or is he under medical care? Some people deal very badly with adversity, and we do see some diagnoses that end relationships. Is he doing your feedings well enough? Nutrition is really important in ALS. Of course, so is hygiene and everything else you are lacking.

I assume you've already tried having another family member, or a friend/counselor/minister he trusts, talk with him about this, but if not, it's worth a try. If your clinic and/or local ALSA chapter has a social worker/care coordinator, they might have some ideas.

But this doesn't sound like a situation where as ALS progresses you will be receiving adequate care, nor does this sound like a good situation for the kids. I'm also worried that if he's not in a very stable place right now, that your wellbeing might further deteriorate.

But I completely understand about seeing the kids. So I am wondering if there is a family member or friend willing to house or set up both you and the kids somewhere with in-home help (or maybe two nearby places where you know people and you could be near each other). I have no idea what you/your family's financial resources are, and how wheelchair-accessible your current/possible future homes are, but that's where consulting local resources about possible help might be an advantage.

Or, you could have in-home help and your husband could be the one to move out.

It may take a third party to accomplish this -- someone willing to lay down the law to your husband and say, "This is what will be." If you go into your family, friends, neighbors, kids' friends, etc., usually there is a person who is willing and able to help in that way, whatever their role in life. It does take disclosure that is more difficult than talking with people you know well.

You know him better than I, but if necessary, I hope you will be frank with him about the number of people that know about his abuse and neglect, and I hope you are being frank with those people about what is going on.

If it has or does become clear that your husband is unable to change his behavior, then I don't think staying where you are, how you are, is really an option. Since it appears that you can keyboard still, I would meet with an attorney via video/text about your rights in your state, since I don't know how far your husband is prepared to go in terms of the kids. Many cities have a disability rights group with attorneys as well. There may be documents you should file or financial actions you should take in advance of seeking to move or getting him to.

If you do decide to make a change, make sure you remove your husband as an emergency contact, de-authorize any access to your health information, etc. Your local women's center or attorney can further advise you on cutting the cord if that is your decision.

Please do remember, it absolutely is your decision.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
I’ve been told to get a legal separation and move out. But he said he will drag it out and I might not live through this process. And he said he will fight for full custody, so I won’t be with my kids as much as I want. He’s also threatened to cut off my family after I pass, which is heart breaking for them. My family has been helping because my husband is not equipped to raise the kids.

I happily did everything before I got sick. My husband and I were always on the same page and were very happy. I worked full time as a nurse, kept the house tidy, cooked three meals a day from scratch, maintained the garden where I also grew fruit and vegetable, raised the kids and was very involved in their education. I took the kids out everyday to go to activities and play. I taught them to love learning, the outdoors and to ride a bike.

He will not help me with anything that has to do with the feeding tube. He also hates all my mobility devices. He throw things around and leaves them exposed to the elements instead of protected in the garage.

He has refused therapy.

I have a caregiver now five days a week. Which has made him more hands off. He already does not participate in my care. He has left it up my friends and family.

I am so sorry. You need a super expert in family law. The one who wins the nastiest divorce casesAlso all the other people Laurie mentioned. You may be able to report and get help from adult protective services though in some states it is only for seniors no matter how disabled you are. Child protective services might be another route but if he isn’t abusing them it won’t work and if he is they could be removed from both of you. I also worry about retaliation so the legal route is probably best.

I am so sorry. He is very angry and very scared. He probably has some pre-existing problems that didn't show as much because you are so loving and so capable. Is his family involved at all? I am wondering if they could get him to agree to a mediation with an attorney who excels in mediation. This may involve having you leave the family home at a certain point in time and move in with your family members and having him agree to bring the children to you each day after school. He is conflicted. He doesn't want a separation, but he doesn't want to care for you. Perhaps if he knew that at a certain point as the ALS progresses he and the children would see you daily but he would not be a caregiver. It may be impossible to get him to take medication, but he would benefit from medication.

You are being abused. He is an abuser. Before ALS, you enabled him by doing everything and he is acting like a spoiled sixth grader toward you. Get an attorney. You have the right to see your kids. Let your family help with your move to a safer, less stressful place.

YOU did nothing wrong. I don't care how angry and scared he is. That is no excuse for the abuse you are enduring. You are worthy. you've worked hard all your life so your family could have income, home cooked meals and so many other things.

I'm very glad you have family to help you. Please take advantage of the help while you're still able.

I know my post sounds harsh but I recently helped another PALS escape a very bad home environment. The caregiver went into a rage and kicked her walker out from under her. She fell.

I'm so very sorry.

I'm reading this and my jaw is dropping and I'm filled with rage. This disease is hard enough without having to be stressed in your home. You need a hug and support. You don't need verbal abuse, words matter.

You need to talk with a lawyer to find out what your options are. Secondly please seek a counselor to get the emotional support that you need.

Granted, that you said that you and he were always on the same page and happy. He may be scared and doesn't know how to handle his emotions but, it's still no excuse to say that he hopes that you die soon. None of us asked for this disease but yet here we are.

I'm glad that you have the support of your family.

Sorry to hear of the issues you are facing. I do see to many commonalities with other situations.

Wow- so sorry to read this - and it was very shocking to actually read. For him do treat you like this now, and to say the things he is saying is just beyond inhumane. You deserve so much better. Others said it too- perhaps he should leave for a while- but can your family provide support? Horrible to deal with this in addition to everything else- but you should talk to a family lawyer and see what rights you have, and what you could possibly setup so that your kids can continue seeing your family.

I agree that this sounds like abuse and also urge you to get outside professional help if your family can’t take over. i am so sorry.

Missluuluu, Maybe you might share where you were diagnosed, by who and are
you referred to a accredited ALS Clinic?

That info might help a member familiar with your area being your Bio only says "US".

You situation is sad... you did so much while still working as a full time nurse, almost
not enough hours in the day.

Hope somehow your situation gets better

I’m in Southern California. I was diagnosed at UCI. And I’ve received help from the Orange County chapter of the ALS organization for mobility supplies.

I hate my situation. But I was away from my kids for a few days following g-tube placement. It was hard on them as well as me. I don’t want to be away from them if I can help it

I have a caregiver a few days a week now. But my husband is not happy paying a pretty penny on me. He has put the majority of the financial burden on my family.

I just want to take my kids out and make memories.

There is a legal route (divorce, etc.) and an extralegal route. I broached both because time is obviously of the essence. And as you say, you would want your kids to stay connected with your family.

Either route might begin with your leaving with the kids, and explaining the rationale in any subsequent legal proceeding.

Leaving also would demonstrate your belief in the urgency of the situation. And in the legal system, removing children from the mother's status quo custody carries a more substantive burden of proof than many other actions.

If your family is assuming a significant role in taking care of the kids, and I would be documenting everything they vs. your husband do/not do, positive and negative, in a text or audio file, they can ultimately file for custody. But that is where a preemptive move might, depending on your beliefs, be worthwhile.

I'm not in your shoes, but from my standpoint, there are options for how this plays out, now and in the future, and I encourage you to tick through them before deciding to stand pat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back