Loved one DX
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AZ
Hi,
I have a question. My grandma died of ALS at 42. Apparently it was 6 months after diagnosis that she passed. Not sure of details of her symptoms or how long she had them. My grandma had 4 kids (my mom being one) so far they have all made it pass 42 years & so far no symptoms of ALS. (All 60-70 years old) My moms 66 years old & no symptoms as of now. Is there any chance it skipped my mom and now I have it? I’m 32 & have been having symptoms. So far had normal CT of head & neck. Waiting on other testing. Wondering my chances.

If your grandmother is the sole person the chances for you are very low. The vast majority of ALS is autosomal dominant meaning you only need to inherit it from one parent but simplex ( single , isolated) cases of genetic ALS are rare. IF your grandmother carried a mutation for it to affect you your mother must carry it ( a child of a genetic carrier has a 50% chance). so assuming your grandmother had genetic ALS which is not proven or even statistically likely your mom would have to have inherited it 50/50 chance and yet not manifested more than 2 decades older than her mom and then passed it to you another 50/50 and you end up manifesting a decade younger than your gm.

that is a ton of ifs and maybes. Let your doctor do their job

Okay thank you so much for your reply I appreciate your knowledge on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back