Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
ME
Hi there everyone,

I went to the NP with twitching around my body for the past 10 days, but mostly in my left leg, and heaviness in both legs.

I asked her to test my reflexes on my knees, and not only did my legs jump, as you'd expect, but my whole upper body literally shook though my shoulders. This has never happened to me. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I was told not to worry, my body will heal itself and to come back if I notice any serious weakness, ie not being able to hold a cup. Definitely a strange visit. Should I pursue other avenues?

Thank you all.

Hi I'm not sure what you are concerned about after just 10 days of vague symptoms - it's a bit like thinking you have a brain tumour because you had a few headaches.
I don't see anything alarming, but you can go back to your PCP and ask what they think is going on and how they feel you should move forward (I'm not sure what an NP is sorry). It is always best to work with a doctor who is examining you and ordering tests. I hope you get this sorted quickly, I'm sure it is something that will resolve.

Thank you for the response and keeping us sane.

and

Nurse Practitioner!

I would return to your primary physician and asked to be reevaluated if your symptoms don’t improve in the next couple of weeks. Nothing against NP’s, but they don’t have as extensive training as general physicians, and they don’t have as extensive training as a neurologist. My own general doctor didn’t even know what PLS was, let alone what symptoms went along with it. I have extreme hyper-reflexes and when they hit my knee I do sometimes shudder throughout my whole body. This is from spasticity. There are a lot of conditions that can cause hyper-reflexes though, not just MND. When I first started exhibiting symptoms like yours, I was told to wait. When it didn’t resolve, they sent me for basically an MS work up...MRI’s, blood tests, etc. (Everything was normal, and after many more normal tests were ruled out, we ended up at MND) So, again, it very well could be nothing, and I do hope your symptoms resolve soon too, but sometimes you have to be your own advocate and not be allowed to be brushed off. Trust your gut. Best to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back