Not open for further replies.

KarstBoy

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
If you're taking anything for the constant stress of being a caretaker, did you get if from a medical or psychiatric doctor?

This disease is just grinding me down, especially now that my PALS has reached the point of being functionally quadriplegic and no longer able to communicate without GREAT difficulty.

Nightly sleep has basically become a series of naps over a 7 or 8 hour period. I feel fortunate if I can get an uninterrupted 3 hours sleep. I take every advantage I can of short naps during the day.

If psyc meds will help with the stress, I'm willing to give them a try. Color me exhausted.

I got a prescription for an antidepressant from my primary care physician. I told her about my PALS and the stress and she didn't hesitate to prescribe antidepressants.

I took an antidepressant prescribed by my GP and saw a counsellor once a month. That was really helpful in talking about how I was coping internally and what strategies would help me cope with things as we moved through the progression.

I also talked here and in a private closed CALS group and was able to really discuss the stress with people who understood.

Do all you can to help get through this, it is the hardest thing to be a CALS without a doubt.

Thanks rmt & affected. Guess I’ll give my gp a try.

I also talked here and in a private closed CALS group and was able to really discuss the stress with people who understood.

Do all you can to help get through this,

Is this private group still active?

Yes, I'll PM you with details as I'm an admin there 🙃

Yes, I'll PM you with details as I'm an admin there 🙃

Tillie, I tried to answer your conversation question and it would not let me reply. Here is the error message I got:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

I can sure relate to these questions about CALS stress. My kids want me to get some help and I am trying.....but it is not easy to find someone who is trainable, kind hearted, trust worthy, strong enough, available and affordable. And since the disease progression is unknown, there is no way to plan ahead for the time when I won't be able to manage alone. I can see myself asking my pcp for an antidepressant, as the sadness of watching a loved one cope with so much loss is overwhelming at times. It helps me to get lost in a good book, a movie or get a hug from a friend. It helps knowing that others share my thoughts. Thanks!

Dot at the start a lot of the help we had was more in line with help for me and very basic things for Chris. We built up relationships and then progressively trained staff as Chris progressed. Don't underestimate even having help with housework, shopping and outside stuff to free you up. Definitely as the needs of your PALS increases though you want staff who can do it all, or at least lots of the things well.

Escapism through books - you is my kinda girl!

I asked for an antidepressant when I realized I was in trouble, and also ended up on anxiety meds when I started having chest pains. The cardiologist said my heart was good, but that I needed the meds to get me through without that changing. Yes, talk to your doctor. You will have a lot of recovery ahead of you, and if meds can mitigate some of the damage stress does, then please consider them.

I'm encouraged by reading this thread to talk to me doctor about antidepressants. I've been reluctant to take any more medications, but I now believe it could help me be more present for my husband.
Thanks to you all.

How are you doing now @Mana ?
It usually takes a few weeks for these meds to start taking effect, so I'm hoping you are heading to that place now?

Thanks, Tillie (and everyone who has posted on this subject)
I did get a prescription from my PCP for an SSRI, OK'ed by my cardiologist. She said it would take 6 weeks to really kick in, but I do feel about one degree calmer, just knowing that I've done something. Still working on a therapist. Also working on getting a peer support person through NC ALSAssociation. Not sure how that works ... We are in our new place, still trying to sell the old one and unpacking. Both have our ups and downs, but we have found a new place to swim and my PALS is starting a clinical trial which gives him more contact with the ALS clinic snd lifts his spirits. I'm feeling especially grateful for all of you today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back