Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
NY
Hey there. I don't want to bother you or take much of your time.

I read the sticky regarding the symptoms of what's ALS And what's not, but I'd like to ask regarding my particular case.

I'm 25, male, white. I work as a web developer, thus my job involves sitting on a desk all day in, sometimes, questionable positions. Since about a week now I've been having stiffness/tightness/plenty of twitching on my right side. Started in my right arm, shoulder is heavy/stiff - a lot of twitching in the biceps, arm feels weakish. Later it went to the leg on the same side. Twitching on the thigh, sore/achy feeling/heavy and stiff (like the arm). Basically together with that, a few days later, appeared widespread twitching around the majority of the body (I can see the twitching when i look at the twitching part).

My question is, can the muscle stiffness/twitching/heavyness and soreness given the situation point towards ALS, or more likely my spine is having issues from too much poor posture/sitting in front of a computer? I haven't went to a doctor yet with the fear they'll call me a hypochondriac and send me home, haha.

Any help will be appreciated, I'll get off your case as soon as I hear some opinions.

Thank you in advance.

Definitely points to posture issues and local problems resulting. Nothing of ALS in this at all.
Please see a doctor rather than people dealing with a terminal illness.
Addressing this early is really important to get on top of how you work and how it affects your body. Ask you doctor what he/she thinks rather than asking if you have ALS and you won't be seen as a hypochondriac :)

Thanks, as a side question, is the twitching related to ALS isolated to one limb for example before it actually progresses further?

I would explore the ergonomics/posture/fatigue thing. I don't see ALS on the table. The best way not to be written off as a hypochondriac if you're not, is to document concrete examples of changes, not just going in and saying your arm feels heavy. But any competent doc will test your strength so you have an objective baseline.

Besides your setup at work, re-evaluating your mattress, pillow and chairs at home, and your shoes, to make sure they are still supporting you, never hurts.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks, as a side question, is the twitching related to ALS isolated to one limb for example before it actually progresses further?
Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. It doesn’t matter how much you twitch or whether the twitching is widespread or localized. It’s really not an important symptom when it comes to diagnosing ALS because it is such a common finding even among normal, healthy people.

Thanks for the answers, I'll chat up a doc if it doesn't pass/gets worse.

Update: Saw a neuro today just in case. He did a full exam on me - reflexes, strenght. He said my reflexes are brisker than usual, but since they aren't assymetrical / no clonus / no other signs it's most likely anxiety induced. He said he doesn't suspect ALS.

Generally, does a clean neuro exam rule out ALS 100%?

Yes. ALS is upper motor neuron signs detected on exam plus EMG signs of lower motor disease AND clinical weakness ( detected on exam). You had a normal exam so no need for an emg. You are good to go

Thank you. And a final thing to ask - do you think I should try to push for an EMG? I've read of some people who had normal exam, but positive EMG. I'm surprised he didn't give me one, but he didn't seem to think it's needed.

A truly normal exam and abnormal emg and had ALS? I would question that although there is a condition which is benign called emg disease. Completely healthy people have very abnormal emgs. It means nothing.
too many emgs are done for reassurance which never works. Often small meaningless abnormalities are discovered which send the person into a tailspin

one of the Oxford ALS professors was asked what he would make of an ALS like emg in the absence of weakness ( a hypothetical question). He replied he would never do an emg with a normal exam but if he did he would not diagnose ALS because of no clinical weakness. No you don’t need an emg. It would be a waste of time and money.
take your good news and run with it. Congratulations

Thank you, please close the thread. And I wish you all the best, especially those fighting with this disease. I will make sure to leave a donation - the least I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back