Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
It is really interesting. There was mouse research where c9 mice in two different locations did very differently and it turned out to be due to difference in the microbiome. “ correcting” it made the sick mice do better. But another study showed sod1 mice needed a different microbiome.

there is a study at mgh that can be done remotely. I suspect only for US residents because you have to mail samples But you could ask to be sure if you are interested. They are recruiting PALS, genetic carriers and healthy controls
7688D7A6-3E69-4E32-B18B-86A7F017F87B.png

It is very interesting and continues recent trends in thinking that looks at this relationship. I will look into participating.

I may have written about this in previous posts, but three months before the onset of recognizable symptoms I had been under extreme stress and experienced a sudden and dramatic increase in GI issues. I’ve always felt that the main triggers for me were these events.

The outstanding question that remains, and maybe will be better understood from this study, is why the many tens of millions of people with chronic GI issues (and presumably poor gut microbiomes) never develop MND. Same with environmental exposures and other possible factors. As with cancer and a multitude of other diseases, establishing that direct link from environmental exposures, underlying health issues, lifestyle, etc., is very elusive.

Did the microbiome cause the ALS or did the ALS affect the microbiome ? Yes those c9 mice did differently in different environments but there is no indication that regular mice would have problems in either place.

the wuick answer to why some people get als and others with the same life experiences don’t is a mild genetic susceptibility. If you have you still need a series of exposures / events to get ALS. If you don’t have it you won’t get it. The belief is 6 steps with SALS. Those of us with autosomal dominant mutation are already half way there at birth. It is my belief that 2 or 3 steps are common life events, the others are more rare

As part of the Theracurmin trial through Duke they are collecting our microbiome:

Stool Microbiome Sequencing change [ Time Frame: Enrollment, week 4 and month 6 visits ]
The microbiome of study participants will be analyzed in stool samples at enrollment, week 4 and month 6 visits. Changes will be compared in the stool microbiome over time in patients with ALS on Theracurmin to the changes observed in untreated healthy controls. Metagenomic analysis of deidentified selected fecal sample will be done on patients that positively respond to Theracurmin to achieve strain level identification of microbes positively and negatively associated with improved outcomes. The selected anaerobes that have been linked to ALS severity will be cultured for further genetic sand phenotypic characterization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back