Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hey,

My father died of MND and his uncle before him (no previous family ties) I recently spoke to my mother about this who said that my father was very worried about passing this on to his children

She said that when tested it wasn’t genetic he was just unlucky would this be a common phrase to say that the familial link would not be present for his children going forward

Kind Regards

Buna

He presumably had testing for the genetic mutations identified at the time. You do not say when this was. The most common mutations have been identified for more than 10 years.

2 relatives is considered possible FALS bad luck and environmental issues definitely happen. To illustrate this one of my FALS cousins has a cousin on their other side who had mnd. Pure nasty coincidence

There are ultrarare mutations still unidentified so one cannot be certain

Importantly though there is absolutely nothing you can do about it so thinking and worrying is counterproductive. You are in the UK. You can’t get genetically tested under the nhs as a well person without an identified family mutation. My cousins had to produce a copy of my genetic test when they went for counseling ( their parents were affected but had not had testing for our mutation). Live your best life because none of us know what is next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back