WilD

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hiya,

I'm a 31 year old male and I've been experiencing some symptoms which I would appreciate some thoughts on.

I have seen a doctor and been referred to neurology (6-12 month wait here). Doctor not really able to tell me anything at this stage so just wanted to know if what I'm experiencing could/could not be ALS in your view.

7 months ago I noticed flicker in my right calf, usually at rest. I went to the doctor and I was sent for blood tests checking for magnesium levels etc. All fine.
My right leg continued to twitch/flicker and I noticed an unusual feeling behind my knee coupled with some slight cramping of the calf muscle. The cramping does seem to have ceased. The doctor observed that my right calf was around a cm and a half smaller than my left. In terms of movement, I have noticed only a very subtle sluggishness or heaviness in my right leg for the last 4 months when I go running. There is also a tingling, but I appreciate this isn't related to ALS.

Just before the summer, my right hand started stiffening by the fingers when I clench them and a difficulty writing on a board (I'm a teacher), my arm would feel fatigued when above my head after a short space of time.

Now, I was aware that ALS could be a very small possibility but owing to no real change in functionality and movement or strength, I wasn't overly concerned at this point. In honesty, I would never have even considered ALS other than a friend of a friend has recently been diagnosed having 1st noticed twitching.

Mid way through October I noticed some subtle changes to my speech. Noticeably around saying words with more than one 's' in them. I knew this wasn't normal as I've never had issued with speaking. I'm now having difficulty with words that have 'th' in them and particularly when moving from a word that ends in 's' to one that starts with 'th'. These have been so subtle that I have managed to disguise them, but I get caught out at work and stumble over my words a bit. I wouldn't describe it as slurred, but more as a 'thickness'.

It's this speech change that has given me some cause to worry, and owing to the waiting list to see neurology I find myself asking what you think.

It is appreciated, thank you.

Wil

Hi, Wil, ALS onset speech issues usually aren't as you describe.

Taken together, I would be wondering about your quality and quantity of sleep, including any deficits in positioning and mouth breathing (in terms of dry mouth/a tongue irritation). You could track it using a wearable, video it, ask a partner or housemate, etc.

I am not concerned about a slight difference between legs and the cramping start/stop with no real change in function is of course reassuring.

Besides a focus on sleep, it might be good to look at your stretching regimen for your arms and legs in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back