Diagnosis
08/2022
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Livingston
Tom, PALS, is in hospital. They use a condom catheter. It is always backflowed. If you use this type of urinal you need gravity to move the flow away. Otherwise (according to dr Google) he could have skin issues or uti.
I have asked about this frequently. The nurses dont care as long as some liquid is going into the bag.

Are they removing it and cleaning/drying his skin? My brother is in VA nursing home and they have him in diapers. He has been this way for over a year and, so far, no infection yet. They give him a shower (Hoyer lifted in and out) three times a week and sponge bath on the other days.

They do nothing with the catheter. The only times they look at it are when I insist. So its the same condom catheter since friday night.
I hope he doesnt get a uti.

The cc was changed because I told the nurses it has been over 48 hours. If i had not insisted i dont know if anything would have been done.

when i spent a few days in the hospital i asked for a condom cath. they said they use something better - search for primofit. it suctions urine. worked great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back