Top 3 dumb things I've heard lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
The home health agency sent over a new aide. She was a doctor in the Philippines working for the agency until she passed the medical boards. on her first night here while observing my paralyzed leg she commented "oh, but you will get better". I asked how many neurology courses. She took in med school, and she replied one. I started to explain using terms like axiom and her eyes glazed over. I dropped the subject. The next time she showed up here, she claimed her boyfriend was a neurologist at MGH. and now in addition to her agency work. She also was now an emergency room surgeon at another hospital.

Holy crap Joe! I'd watch that aide veeerrry carefully!

She's blowing so much smoke up your a$$ that you're in danger of rectal cancer...

>She's blowing so much smoke up your a$$ that you're in danger of rectal cancer..

that draws a real mental image :)

I was in the supermarket yesterday.

I person I've known for years, but not well called out to me and I turned, smiled and said hi.

She said - did your husband die?

I said - sadly, yes he did.

(Remember I'm only 51)

She said - what did he die from, was it natural causes?

Dumbstruck

amazng! How did you respond?

terminal stupidity

I turned, smiled and said hi.
She said - did your husband die?
She said - what did he die from, was it natural causes?

Well, you have to consider that something may have been lost in the translation from the original Australian.

;-)

I took a deep breath and said - no, not natural causes he had MND, you know the disease the ice bucket challenges are all about?

Her eyes glazed over a little and she went vague, like it honestly seemed she hasn't heard of them ...

This is when I got confused, thinking she had seen me doing the ice bucket recently, and asked how she had heard he died and she said she had seen it in the paper. I then worked out it was back in May when I did the awareness month article ... get that - an article title My husband lost his life to MND and then explaining the disease!

Then she went to further stupidity to ask if it was my ex-husband that divorced me like 8 or more years ago (which she knew, and she had since met Chris).

Mike, I'm not sure what can get lost in translation there, no matter how hard my Australian accent is to catch at times - no one dies of natural causes in their 50's anywhere surely?

Anyway, I'm still gobsmacked (maybe that's an aussie saying though) and anyone in Australia I've told has been just as gobsmacked. Still shaking my head lol

well the good news is that you can lolQ

Max if I let the stupidity of people get to me I'd never get out of bed of a morning! :twisted:

I had a person ask if my PALS had considered changing their diet because a lot of neurological problems can be a result of bad diets. Wow! Why didn't we think of that? That comment actually rendered me speechless.

Yeah a friend gave Chris a bottle of VitB tablets one day - good for the nervous system you know, have helped him before ... it's still unopened in the cupboard. Well I could have ground them up each day, mixed with water and put down his peg but he didn't want them...

Oh Tillie, the things I have heard since my son was diagnosed with autism.....

You really should discipline that child....in the middle of a god awful meltdown at the grocery

A good spanking would take care of that problem...in the middle of a meltdown at the grocery

As i walked walked three steps away one day because I thought I was going to lose it at the grocery......someone told me they were going to call child services

I stopped taking him to the grocery and started going in the middle of the night. When he was diagnosed with adhd his teacher said just put him on meds...if he has a broken arm you would treat it wouldnt you? I told her I didnt take messing with his brain chemistry lightly

A guy my husband knows is trying to sell us Protandim at the cost of $80 a bottle because one person said it helped their als. I am thinking of changing our phone number he has gotten so persistent.

People truly come from a place of ignorance and refus eto take the time to educate themselves about the disease. I think that is why I have less patience and tolerance for them.

Lovemykids, I heard that too about my son. Since he eats organic and better than most anyone I know...lean protein and mostly fruits and vegetables I could easily say that wasnt a problem.

It has been the hardest thing with this disease, everyone thinking they have "the fix" for you.

I think one of the dumbest things I heard early on was, " if you had just gone to the doctors sooner they could have fixed you". For most of my life I've tended to avoid docs. People just can't seem to get it through their head that in reality there's little or nothing the docs can do for ALS and an early diagnosis isn't going to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back