Status
Not open for further replies.
>It is pretty much all there already in the stickies composed by our late lamented friends Allen and Joel. I suspect few read them unfortunately. If you want to compose a new thread for a possible sticky please do.

OK, I will find the notes from Allen and Joel first and see what we can come up with ...

>It is a sticky problem indeed!

:)

>I will find the notes from Allen and Joel first and see what we can come up with ...

OK, I give Nikki -- how do I find these stickies?

At the top of the DIHALS forum. Yikes! If you don't see them Max how can we expect the newbies to notice them!

Nikki, never been to the dihals section. First time I came here I already had a diagnosis. First thing I did before joining was ready the mission statement to see if I fit in. No mention there of even helping dihals

Dalvin the stickies are specific to the DIHALS. No need for you to ever venture there unless you wish to. DIHALS is not so much part of the mission as an attempt to contain people with non MND issues. I believe it was added after the forum opened to try to keep the main discussion areas for people who are really dealing with MND. ( this is what I have understood from various threads. When I joined DIHALS already existed)

>At the top of the DIHALS forum. Yikes! If you don't see them Max how can we expect the newbies to notice them!

duh :)

these are *perfect* Is there a way we can consolidate these sticky links into one thread or place where we can point new entrants?

Something like: "Thank you for visiting the DIHALS forum. Please read carefully the following informational threads to better acquaint yourselves with our forum. "

or some such :) ...

then we can easily rejoin with "what you are asking about is detailed in <insert ...>, please reread these threads which address <insert ...>"

redirection will at least help.

Thoughts? I am not trying to take the humanity out of our support, but the idea of trolls and daytime soap players warrants some defensive strategies without hurting visitors or driving members BP up :).

>Nikki, never been to the dihals section. First time I came here I already had a diagnosis. First thing I did before joining was ready the mission statement to see if I fit in. No mention there of even helping dihals

>Dalvin the stickies are specific to the DIHALS. No need for you to ever venture there unless you wish to. DIHALS is not so much part of the mission as an attempt to contain people with non MND issues. I believe it was added after the forum opened to try to keep the main discussion areas for people who are really dealing with MND. ( this is what I have understood from various threads. When I joined DIHALS already existed)

Nikki/Dalvin -- I never thought to go to the root of the DIHALS forum (dumb!). Those stickies are really great.

Thanks, Max

Nikki, I wasn't trying to say we shouldn't help them if we so choose. Only that since that's not what we' re here for they should be grateful for any replies they get instead of complaining because they don't like what their told. To help or not to help is a personal decision from my point. I usually just click on new posts instead of looking for specific threads.

Totally totally agree Dalvin. And for most it is probably less stressful to stay away from DIHALS! I use the new threads button too. Saves scrolling so much!

Max I am not sure how to merge them without making it too much of a mishmash. I will try to look at it soon but I am going to be at NIH all this coming week for research study so I will be pretty busy ( and fairly stressed)

> I will try to look at it soon but I am going to be at NIH all this coming week for research study so I will be pretty busy ( and fairly stressed)

Thanks! No sweat -- we have enough stress to go around!

7 years I have been a real Cals to a real Pals, and a member of this forum...I can count on one hand the number of DIHALS'ers who ended up to be a real Pals.

It is easy to get pissy with them when they are obviously don't belong here and won't listen. I have made a strong effort to just stay out of that section as much as possible, and hold my tongue when they infuriate me. I actually feel better about the section since I have started that effort--

I suggest that if you like to help out there (and often I see pals really helping someone there). give one or two answers to each poster and then just refrain from getting sucked into their never ending questions and fears. if you feel your blood boiling, flip over to another section and talk with your friends here. you will feel a lot better.

Well said Barbie. Thank you.
Leaving for the airport now! Take care everyone!

I do not post to the DIHALS and never will. Who am I to give hope or add to their fear. I am not a doctor. It took my pals 6 months to finally be diagnosed at an ALS clinic. They are looking for answers that only a doctor can provide. I am a person who will share in your joy if you do not have ALS and will be with you if you do have ALS. I will worry about you, care about you and keep you in my prayers. I will be honest and share my story. I will be here for your CALS and help them along this journey. I think it is unfair to members of this forum to be put in that position. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Debbie

Ahhh, the DIHALS section. It's been in a state of controversy for as long as I can remember.
It's simple for me, if a new poster has done their homework, knows what als even is and has a reasonable concern, they will get a reasonable answer.
Then you get the uninformed lazy $hit who didn't bother to read the stickies, and just thinks it's easier to ask disabled people and their caregivers to do the research for them.
Who's being rude here?
If I read a post that clearly is a waste of time, I feel it's our duty as members to comment the post as such.
Many times a DIHALS post will be lazy and a member calls them out on it. GOOD! If it's a member I respect, I know it's not worth my time.

Word to the wise:
Don't take up arms against pals & cals,we have a bond most likely don't understand.
Casey

>Then you get the uninformed lazy $hit who didn't bother to read the stickies, and just thinks it's easier to ask disabled people and their caregivers to do the research for them.
> Who's being rude here?

<BG>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back