Not open for further replies.

Raskolnikov29

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Many thanks to everyone who can give a view here. 45 year old man who is really concerned about his health and suffering from crippling anxiety for the last six months. My symptoms have been heaviness, tightness alternating across right leg and right arms and then left leg and left arm - but this seems to have settled to just the left arm and leg together for last two months. Leg feels heavy and 'wrong', arm feels weak and 'annoying' when I type or make toast - though I can do it and the typing seems as fluid as normal just harder. I type a lot and use a big phone - so I guess this could be a factor. I can do up buttons on shirt, laces etc normally. I also lift weights, and cycle - I seem to be able to do all of those, though the sensation on the arm and leg feel different. Left arm there is a slight twinge in shoulder occasionally. Grip feels weaker but I have never dropped anything nor stumbled. I can walk long distances but the leg feels different. I get visible twitches and small spasms, particularly at night when these stop me sleeping. I am drinking heavily daily to medicate and numb my anxiety - I struggle to find the courage to sit down and eat a meal as I'm aware of my left arm. I feel my speech is weaker and there is a patch on my cheek, but this may be perception only. GP has prescribed SSRIs and cutting down on alcohol. Blood testing but he doesn't think a neurologist is needed yet, pending results -thank you

Have to add I woke up middle of night with cramp and pins/needs in my left hand fingers and right bicep...feels like my whole arm is separate to rest of body - is this a symptom?

Pins and needles don’t sound like als and cramps are non specific

If you are waiting on blood results then maybe that will give you direction

Having feelings but able to do everything is really the reverse of what als does. I continue to feel normal but can not do any of the things you mention.

Let your doctor figure this out.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me so clearly and sensitively Nikki, I really appreciate it, as I'm sure do many others. I will see what the bloods say then go from there. I'm sure stress and alcohol are not helping..

Alcohol interferes with your normal sleep stages. It is particularly unwise to drink lots while taking an SSRI. Please don't do that.

As Nikki says, this doesn't sound like ALS at all.

Thanks so much again to you both for your time and consideration - I’m only returning because I’ve sharpened focus on two issues which are causing me extreme anxiety - my whole left arm and hand (plus possibly left leg at same time) and severe twitching and spasms that prevent me from sleeping.
It feels like the left arm almost hangs off or ‘floats’ with weakness – though when I attempt actions like shoe lace tying, key in door, picking up toast etc I can do them as before; but it now feels like a huge effort and ‘not right’ as it is with my right hand. It feels like the whole arm is somehow pulled and tingly, but there is no real ‘pain’. It feels like this has been happening over at least three months. I either avoid using the left or I use it excessively when I wouldn’t normally. But I don’t drop or fail to an external observer in terms of walking, holding etc.
I can feel that my left shoulder muscle is rolling or rising up into a tight curl to compensate for something – possibly muscle loss/posture? It naturally rises up higher unless I make a conscious effort to let it fall down; then it will rise again. Typing is feeling more difficult too, as if the whole left arm is straining - but again can be done. I cannot see atrophy though. I did a set of weights yesterday.
I have stopped taking the SSRIs after just two halves as a precaution. Still drinking heavily due to anxiety.
Twitching is happening regularly in left and right hands, plus thighs and calves – when I try to sleep I buck awake from either cramping up in one or both hands or the left leg kicking out – last night my face also twitched as one thing.
Bloods done today and so I need to wait for results before moving to neurology.
Would really appreciate any further thoughts on this..

You are still drinking heavily due to anxiety. Alcohol fuels 'extreme' (your words) Health Anxiety.
What else can we say to help you... until you help yourself and address your drinking problem
for starters. Mention your struggle with alcohol to your doctors. It's all a vicious cycle you
are in. I hope you get help for that soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back