Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
Liverpool
Hi All,

I have been reading some of the posts and really respect some of the answers and knowledge and have a few questions regarding symptoms, or possible symptoms.

I may be jumping to crazy conclusions and my anxiety has possibly gotten the better of me but I’ve been in a hole for the past week regarding this and for my family’s sake I need to try to get some reassurance.

I’ve have been having twitches in my hamstring, calf and foot now for about a week, with this I have been getting random other twitches but very rapid one offs in my left arm, glutes and right calf. I have atrophy / wastage in my calf that has been there for about 8-10 years (possibly from old sciatica injury, never diagnosed) and the twitching is within this atrophied side of my calf (inner) and also the other side of calf (outer) and so there is an obvious existing weakness associated with this but right now I think I am feeling the weakness more as i am aware of twitches and has heightened my anxiety. With this twitching I have a burning hot sensation in the same areas and my both legs feel on fire. I am also feeling weakness in this leg all over, no clear issues doing anything I.e lifting foot, standing on heels, doing buttons etc. just a strange jelly like feeling in legs and unsteady. I am struggling to understand the difference between weakness and clinical weakness. Can this please be explained to me?

Another question I have is how intense / persistent would the twitches be for ALS? Would I know a clear difference between a standard persistent muscle twitch and an ALS twitch? The twitches I get now have been fairly persistent but very mild, quick few twitches then go for a while then back again.

I am now struggling with the health anxiety and really feel down. I have seen a GP who is referring me to Orthapaedic clinic and hoping to get in again tomorrow to discuss the health anxiety and seek some help to reduce this.

Apologies for the long post, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Please read this Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

Twitches don’t matter unless you have accompanying clinical weakness and you can’t tell anything from them.

Clinical weakness by definition is determined by a clinician. However failure is an indication someone probably has it. Early stage PALS feel normal yet fail to be able to do something. The day I could not walk on my toes I felt utterly normal and was convinced I somehow hadn’t tried hard enough even though the other foot was doing it normally. This translated into my being unable to point my foot when the doctor gently applied slight resistance

I am glad you are planning to get help for your health anxiety

Thanks for your response.

So in your experience you felt fine, no twitching etc, but just one day couldn’t do something you could in the past? Was there any progressiveness towards this I.e weakness or anything else noticeable or was it a case you just couldn’t do it anymore?

Mind is working overtime and I get over the initial worry but then the leg starts twitching, isolates to calf and below now, and my mind shoots off again.

Tried lifting a few light handheld weights this morning as a test, squats, presses etc, nothing seemed out the ordinary so I’m assuming I don’t suffer any serious weakness / inability to do things.

Thanks.

Correct. I fell over because my ankle gave out. No warning. Not only was I a gym regular 2 days prior I had walked up a snowy cobblestone sidewalk hill without issues. I still feel fine and part of my leg is paralyzed

Self testing is common if you are anxious. Repetitive testing can lead to injury which will fuel your anxiety. Stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back