Question on how progression works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
for some, progression is slow or in "waves". My husband has been slowly progressing for7 years ...it seems to be stable /slow for a few months and then speeds up for a short while. Stress made him more symptomatic in the beginning but anti-depressants seems to have done the trick with that. Azwxman, I often wondered about my husband--though there is no doubt about his diagnosis. If you are slow--enjoy!

>as Max and others put it, "I can't do it".

and that is a pisser! however, IIWII ("It Is What It Is!") ...

Just bloviating, as O'Reilly might say.
I love Bill. I noticed last night that I could hardly lift a bowl in the kitchen, I think it is that subtle, you don't even notice.

Janie

@Barbie...yes, I'm enjoying it. But we're fostering our 7-month old granddaughter, who is medically challenged, so the stress stays at a high level most days.

@Janie...yes, very subtle. Just noticed a few days ago that I can no longer do a Vulcan salute with my right hand (you know, the way Spock did). Not that I normally do Vulcan salutes, but experimenting to see how things are changing. :)

@Barbie...yes, I'm enjoying it. But we're fostering our 7-month old granddaughter, who is medically challenged, so the stress stays at a high level most days.

@Janie...yes, very subtle. Just noticed a few days ago that I can no longer do a Vulcan salute with my right hand (you know, the way Spock did). Not that I normally do Vulcan salutes, but experimenting to see how things are changing. :)

My PALS was not happy when she could no longer do the Vulcan salute. I am totally convinced, though, that she can still do the Vulcan mind meld. Progression is so different in every person so I would encourage you not to dwell on wondering what's next and just try to keep enjoying your favorite activities.

@LMK: easy to say, not so easy to do. But I appreciate the sentiment. And I am trying to keep enjoying everything.

That is so funny about the Vulcan salute. That's not something I usually try, however,a couple days ago, my son challenged me to do it. I'm wondering also about our drivers license. My right side is fine to drive an automatic, but I was told that if my insurance finds out I've been diagnosed they could refuse to cover me! I also had that same thought about misdiagnosis since it's been a year that I noticed symptoms. Not at all a complaint especially since I'm having a hard time figuring out how my family will stay financially afloat. If only I had known being a stay at home mom for 5 years would come back to bite me!

Heh: today my wife mentioned its a good thing its my left leg thats affected now...since I drive an automatic. And I never thought how having ALS might affect car insurance rates. Guess I'll find out eventually.
So, you didn't say: could you do it? (The salute)

I could hold it for a couple second with fingers shaving, I think that counts!

That sounds like a win. :)

Everyone's progression is different. There was nothing but my right hand affected for three years. So enjoy the coasting while you've got it. And I've had it since 2008. Good luck

Yep. I understand everyone is different. Just wondered about the slower onset.
I AM enjoying the coasting. Thanks.

As for car insurance I am wondering if my ALS should even be mentioned to my agent? Might our insurance not cover any accidents where our "disabilities" were involved?

Music, that's a good question. And it also brings up the issue of WHEN to give up driving- obviously a very hard decision. No one wants to give up that independence! In our case, my grown daughters convinced their dad that it was time to quit driving because IF he should have an accident, we could be sued because his ALS made it unsafe. He did it out of concern for me- not wanting to endanger our assets by being sued. Think you will know when it becomes an issue.

When I become unable to drive as good as wifey, I'll give it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back