Scared. looking for reassurance

drewyang96

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I'm a 28 year old male. Starting on 2/18 for 2 days straight two of my toes went numb in my left foot. Each time after 10-15 min of massaging them the feeling finally came back. I got on google and came across ALS. It started to scare me to death, reason being because my grandfather passed from ALS when he was 68. So I know first hand how terrible this disease is and how bad some of you here suffer. My heart truly goes out to you.

I'm wanting to know if any of you can help me figure out is this anxiety or is this really something to worry about. Shortly after my toes went numb those two days the worry really set in and i began feeling pins and needles first in both feet and then all over my body accompanied with a burning sensation. Within 1 week I had a neurology appointment scheduled. She did a clinical exam testing my walking and my strength and all that. She told me she saw no sign of ALS. But scheduled an MRI and a EMG a month out. I felt relieved that day. With the family history of my grandfather i had just been worried sick.

Couple days later I get in a car wreck someone pulled out in front of me and i T boned them. I wasn't hurt bad i bruised my wrist pretty bad and bruised my hand. Couple of days later i started feeling pain in my knee and immediately my mind just went to thinking my muscles were getting weaker. My mom tried to reassure me that it was just from the wreck but the fear that was in my mind just wouldnt accept that. couple of days later I started having stiffness in my left calf. Kept googling symptoms, then i started perceiving weakness. At work i was testing my strength on everything. Asking myself was this door always this heavy? Was this tool always this heavy? again my mom has tried to say its just anxiety.

The pins and needles come and go now they arent constant. One strange thing is it seems my joints are cracking and popping way more then they used to. Like when i wake up in the morning they just all pop. Is that a symptom of ALS? One day last week i woke up and my foot was in so much pain. When I put pressure on it hurt so bad. I limped all day at work and then the next day it was fine. It was strange.

I had my MRI it was clean. My emg is scheduled for next friday. Everything is functioning like it should. Ive read the before you post forum. Im having perceived weakness in my mind but im not having failure. One last thing ive been picking up really heavy things in the past month trying to test my strength, couple of weeks ago i was picking a 5 gallon bucket up with each arm it had to have weighed 30 pounds at least and i was lifting it at least 15 times with both arms about shoulder height now fast forward two weeks and both my forearms are cramping so bad. I have aches in my hands and typing this long paragraph i have been in pain and cramping this entire time.

I guess my last question is could in one month ALS symptoms progress this fast that both my forearms are aching and in pain? I know most of the consensus is ALS doesnt cause pain but im wondering since im so young and I'm relatively healthy and strong could it be muscle weakness that is causing cramping or am I just crazy and anxiety ridden? Like I said at the beginning my heart goes out to anyone that is dealing with this horrible disease. I lost my papa to it. I know first hand how bad it is. And you all may laugh at me and say man this dude is just struggling bad with anxiety, But I hope thats all it is. I just need some answers and reassurance. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pins and needles, pain and cracking/ popping- none of these things are related to ALS. I fully expect your emg to be reassuring. Stop self testing and over analyzing

A T-bone, even when you're not badly hurt, is pretty jarring to your body. And you acknowledge anxiety. I agree that we don't get ALS out of this, and self-testing only amps up the load on your body. Instead, while you're waiting for the EMG, I'd do some stretching, tai chi, Pilates, ballet, whatever vid strikes you on YouTube, and lay off lifting for now.

Back