Disgusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
What really gets my goat is Kiwi quoting Al in her signature.

Lori, that is amazing as that has been eating away at me too! To find a peaceful place, I have come to the conclusion that it must be trolls that are doing this to the forum. They cannot be real people--just people who are playing nasty games with Al's forum to see if they can sink it. We cannot let that happen.

Okey everyone. Its time to go help the new member. This isn't helping anyone but you can help him.

I've been sitting here with a blank post screen for the longest time—wanting to say something that will change things for the better, and having absolutely no inspiration as to what that would be.

I think to myself, what is the hardest thing? I should address and tackle that first—but there is so much wrong, in what order should it be written?

From my standpoint, one of the hardest things is to read Al quoted out of context. He was one of the most patient and caring man anyone could hope to know. To twist what he said, the few times he'd get blustery (with very good cause) is appalling. And, to have his words used in such a fashion by someone who admits to never knowing him? I'm sorry, but WTF. (this is not in reference to it being adopted as someone else's signature line, I had no idea about that until just now. However, its inappropriate and an insult to his legacy considering what has been said.)

Al read each and every single post that appeared on this entire forum for YEARS! He, during those last few years was typing with ONE finger, but he still took the time. over and over and over, to reassure people who were new and worried, or not new but still worried. As time passed, his answers became briefer in content, but no less important.

When you think about how many times you yourself have read something by a worried poster...compare that with how many times he did! He was gruff, and we loved him for it. And did he bash? No. Eventually, his patience could wear thin when a person just would not listen to reason. But, the overall atmosphere of any of the various sub-forums was one of welcoming and willingness to put up with a bit of irritation for the greater good.

I think that THAT is what has been lost here. The common goal of safekeeping the greater good of this forum. For whom is it a safe haven nowadays?

There has never been bullying and name calling. If it happened, it was stopped. People were banned.

—So, there's currently no moderator, does that somehow make it okay? Do standards of what is decent change because there is no one to police?

And the ambiance?.... We like our entertainment that's for sure, but it too has taken a turn.

Sure, we have offshoots from the original Forum Follies, PZ's pub is still in operation, although renamed, the spirit carries on for the most part.

Glen Brittle sparked the idea of the Forum Follies. Does anyone reading this remember them? After we lost BethU I lost the heart to really continue the Follies, but others tried, and our lovely Annie, Peter, Zaphoon and Barry among others did a wonderful job in creating diverting entertainment for any who wanted to read.

Now, we don't have the Follies, We don't have Beth, or Glen, or Barry, or Ann. And what has filled the void has not really filled the void at all. I used the think it was cool when I would look to see who was online, and see how many "guests" were reading the follies. Now, if I look and see that a guest is reading some of the off topic forums, I inwardly cringe.

Barry used to say "We're all in this together" and it felt true. But, today, are we still in that frame of mind?

In my personal life I've been reading some old poetry books, and also searching online for quotations. It has nothing to do with this forum, or this topic; its for a project for my home. But, because I've done so much quotation reading of late, there are a couple that come to mind right now. I leave you, and this post ending with them.

Life is short, but there is always time enough for courtesy.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

and,

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

And with those beautiful and thoughtful quotes, I am closing this thread. Goodbye and Good Luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Please lets make this a nice place!

Agreed! The ones that I have reached out to in the past/present, keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I don't know what is wrong with me still and so therefore?! To say I am scared is an understatement. Suffice it to say, I may reach out more here.

You can always post me a message if you have questions.

Agreed sweet lori,those of us who knew al and respected him owe it to him to keep his legacy going.
Quote from the alsforums.com ......................
Our community consists of individuals working together; exchanging information, providing moral support, caregiver support and general help with ALS - together we cope with ALS, make friends, and help one another support those with ALS.

Diane,as always you bring such words of wisdom.

Larry,i hope and pray you get answers soon and we are always here to help.

Agreed sweet lori,those of us who knew al and respected him owe it to him to keep his legacy going.
Quote from the alsforums.com ......................
Our community consists of individuals working together; exchanging information, providing moral support, caregiver support and general help with ALS - together we cope with ALS, make friends, and help one another support those with ALS.

Diane,as always you bring such words of wisdom.

Larry,i hope and pray you get answers soon and we are always here to help.
THANK YOU also Olly!

Agreed - let's make this a nice, caring place. Everyone here has enough sadness in their lives.

Sounds good to me :) hope everyone has a nice weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back