Disgusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is painfully obvious that we desperately need a moderator as this forum is imploding. Perhaps David could consider skype interviews? Al could indeed explode and say outrageous things, but heaven help forum members who made fun of others or who were unkind, or started sniping at one another. He only gave leeway to Allen as he knew Allen used his tough love approach with a heart of gold behind it and a huge intellect and fund of knowledge. The "old timers" truly understand the culture of the forum as Al intended. He wanted this to be a place where PALS, CALS and visitors could come for information, for sharing, and for learning, and for love and kindness when oft times that was missing for them.
Al counted on the "old timers" to guide and support this forum. Why do you think he created the categories like "helpful member, very helpful member" etc? Al adored Rose as all of us "old timers" do. She has invested hours and hours of time to share information and share of herself. She has to be the gentlest soul that God every created--yet she got bashed under this new culture. Al would have kicked ass with her basher. For Olly to go postal indicates how bad things are here--Al considered her a mainstay. Lori has been the heart of this forum for years and when she says that things are off track they are off track.
Personally I am embarrassed by the LL thread. I have a good sense of humour, but I find I cringe thinking that visitors are reading what it is written there. Yes, it gets lots of hits but we all tend to gape a wrecks on the highway. Just take a look at the post above mine as an example--it is the same as a little kid sticking their tongue out and challenging someone to fight. What the hell is with this behaviour?

Oldtimers and like-minded newcomers it is time for us to take back the forum.
Laurel
Howevv

For chrissakes. I've only been around here for a few months and am already disgusted by the pettiness, mean-spiritedness and sophomoric behavior I've witnessed here. I didn't know Al, but from what I've read here he would be appalled by some of the stuff going on here.

I don't know about the rest of you, but dealing with ALS is probably the most difficult thing I've ever experienced. What is needed and warranted here is kindness and compassion, not cruelty. Backbiting and sarcasm may be the way of the world, scotslassie, but I don't think this is the place for it. There are plenty of online forums where trolling and meanness go with the territory, but it's particularly inappropriate here, I think.

If people here have pissing matches going with each other, I respectfully ask that they take them to PM. As for the people who post repeatedly in DIH, I think that if input is offered and not taken over and over again, the suitable response is to stop responding, rather than ridiculing or baiting, which only encourages some posters to continue on. You are not going to change anyone else's behavior, and I suspect that some of those posters may have clinical anxiety or other psychiatric problems.

A little empathy goes a long way. I don't want to get all kumbaya, but let's be kind to each other. We are all on the same difficult journey.

I am done. Peace out

just found this lot now........told you ollie was well capable of bullying the proverbial bully....wow she got a mouth on her............tough eggs these yorkshire lasses....tougher than a scots lassie or a maori marvel..doubtful.......now, dont read anymore into wat i just said, ok....come on admit it...its been a couple of days of brilliant reading...so lighten up and smell the flowers good people...loves johnny

Lori you may be correct about leaving. I am wondering whether to email David and suggest a complete shut down. I am thinking that things are beyond repair--just saw new threads and it is getting uglier instead of better. Very heart breaking! Al would be so disappointed. Thanks for all you have done over the years Lori.
Laurel

I am so grateful for the people that truly welcomed me here when I was a person scared my husband had Als. I can say over the last two years I have Never seen such childish, petty, and downright just mean, until the last few months. You all probably are going to smart off to me too, I can take it, I have already lost the MOST important person in my life to this disease. I just wish people still loved, depended, and truly cared about each other on here. I miss the forum as it was. And don't tell me that it is too late to turn this forum around as a positive. Love People...

Joni I think you are right. We can get it back and fix things. Lots of love to you.
Laurel

Back at you Laurel:)

I am utterly sad and heart broken.

The extra special people here like Lori, Rose, Ollie, CJ , Alyoop, Notme and others who have given me so much hope have seemingly been marginalized by a group of thoughtless individuals from whom apologies are plentiful but meaningless.

People apologize on one thread and repeat the offensive behaviour on another... within mere seconds. I really cannot fathom how a human being can be mean spirited whilst sending "hugs" and purported "prayers". Especially here. Especially under the circumstances.

Truthfully, I am sadder today, then I was on April 5th/2012 when told I have ALS. This place was my refuge. My saving grace. My oasis.
It's becoming an angry snake pit, dank, dark, deaf and devoid of empathy.

I will don my rose coloured glasses and find an alternate peaceful route on my catastrophic journey called ALS.

Today's Gospel: (Luke)
"Whatever house you enter, first say, 'peace to this house!'. And if anyone is there who shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person; but if not, it will return to you. "

I tried to start a thread of healing. And instead I get called out for not naming names? Give me a ****ing break. I do not keep track of who says what to who, I just know this is NOT Al' s forum, and that a lot of people are distespecting this forum, and have forgotten the purpose of this place.

My post went to modland, so I will just say that I agree with you, Sadiemae, and am disheartened by some of the stuff I've seen here. It would be terrible if the forum was shut down. It has been so helpful to me.

Lori you are one of my heroes. Right now it is like a couple of the classroom ruffians are vying for power from the teacher, but when I sit back with a clear head (after the steam stops coming out of my ears when I read the posts) I realize that the majority of people here are here because they need what Al set out to provide. It is only a handful that are attempting a mutiny on Al's ship.

I agree Laurel, unfortunately, it seems to be working. The forum needs to be a welcoming, safe place. New members will (are), be(ing) scared off of here!

Elaine, Laurel, Lori, et all... I was thinking this morning about how out of line some posts are... zI saw one that was obviously ridiculing Aly... Aly, who is so smart and generous to a fault, and whom I consider my sister. I wanted to write to that poster how many wonderful things that Liz, Joni and I can say that Aly has done for us, among others I'm sure. Not to mention that she's stayed here as a neuro nurse who has done many clinical trials, mostly with MS, how invaluable that brain of hers is for all of us. I didn't post it there, because it's not worth wasting my fingers typing it to the one who posted that bull. Needless to say, this has all struck a chord within all of us, so we need to stay and help the scared folks that come here... we were some of them a few years... or months ago. And you ladies and some of the gents are my lifeline, and I've been missing our good humored postings of our dear friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back