Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hi all,

I know many people must post similar threads on here, but none the less I will still post this.

As far as I am concerned, I already have ALS and have not been diagnosed yet... but here are my symptoms:

I am a 29 year old male in good health. Out of the blue I started experiencing very noticeable weakness in my right hand/lower arm and right foot. This weakness has persisted for a number of months to date with no change. I find holding a cell phone difficult, easy to drop, exhausting to turn a key or switch gears in my car. My fingers feel clumsy and sometimes "freeze" and are sluggish when trying to perform detailed tasks. Some days it feels not quite as bad as others, but already my right hand is tiring writing this post. Every day I hope for an improvement but nothing.

In addition, I am experiencing light sleep/sleep disturbances every night that make me quite tired during the day. I do not have a history of depression, high job stress, or previous sleep problems.

My doctor has said he will "watch" my hand/arm but of course does not think I have a neurological disease. He ordered a sleep study. I feel that it must be an underlying symptom of motor degeneration... any thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

G.

G,

I am curious why you have chosen to self-diagnose yourself with ALS and not something else (like MS, Lupus, Syphillis, Plague or Pinched Nerve)?

There are so many things outside of ALS that could be causing your problems. Can you please elaborate?

On a more compassionate note, I am sorry you are having this kind of difficulty but in my mind, it just doesn't do good to a body to prematurely think or fixate on one of the worst possible scenarios.

Zaphoon

Since your doctor is the one who went to med school, I'd rely on his opinion. Sounds like a sleep study is a good next move.

G,

why don't you just ask your GP to refer you to a neurologist? maybe that will help to put your mind at ease.

Sandra

G,

Your descriptions sound like how my own stuff started, a few years ago. The first thing my GP did was schedule a sleep study as well. Hated the thought of sleeping anywhere but my own bed but eventually did do it, out of desperation to feel better. Was found to have some mild issues and was persuaded to do a 12 week "trial" of C-pap to see if it would help. He and the sleep doctor both thought the sleep issues MIGHT be causing the physical symptoms and the only way to find out was to do the trial and look for improvement. There wasn't any, but at least we could cross "sleep issues" off the list of possible causes of physical complaints. So go do your sleep study, everyone should experience that awful goo in the hair, and then go from there.

Good luck-

Lydia

Thank you all for the responses.

I know other potential causes exist, but in all honesty I cannot think of any other underlying issues outside of ALS or best case MS. Never had any serious health problems before and my career is very low stress, both physically and mentally. I do not exercise at all so I don't really see how I could have a pinched nerve..... other symptoms I have like mild double vision and headaches exist but its hard to know if there is any relation or not.

G

Hey, Zaph, you forgot the ever popular brain tumor in your list of alternatives. It's a much better fit for his symptoms than ALS. It would account for all the symptoms he mentioned -- one-sided body weakness, double vision, headaches.

I actually did ask the consultant neurologist " Do you think this looks like a brain tumor?" when my partner was experiencing hand weakness, prior to his diagnosis. He just shook his head, and kind of rolled his eyes :))

Fogey,

Oooops! Its too late to make edits on the post now. I'll make a note so won't forget next time.

Thanks!

Fogey,

Oooops! Its too late to make edits on the post now. I'll make a note so won't forget next time.

Thanks!

Kim, since it's so cold in Missouri right now don't forget to winterize the muffler bearings in your vehicles too.:grin:

On a serious note armstrong, a neurologist will have dozens of possibilities. Those symptoms really can be caused by many things. You are definitely having issues and I wish you the best, but don't jump on the MND bandwagon yet.

Winterize my car's muffler bearings? Shucks! Another thing to put on my "to do" list. The newbies aboard ship were sometimes sent to various locations throughout the ship for things like chow line for the mess decks, right-handed arm punch from the boatswain's locker, 10 ft of umbilical cord and a mast crank to crank the mast down when approaching a river bridge.

Kim

I think this thread is coming close to being hijacked...

Yeah it's officially hijacked. With motorcycles the possibilities are endless.

At work we've also sent people for a bucket of steam, or a pair of pipe stretchers.

Thank you all for the responses.

I know other potential causes exist, but in all honesty I cannot think of any other underlying issues outside of ALS or best case MS. Never had any serious health problems before and my career is very low stress, both physically and mentally. I do not exercise at all so I don't really see how I could have a pinched nerve..... other symptoms I have like mild double vision and headaches exist but its hard to know if there is any relation or not.

G
CIDP is another possibility. I would ask for the neuro. referral as if it is something like CIDP lots of damage can occur in the interim. This happened with hubby and if had had early treatment he would not have atrophy of the hand and permanent foot drop.
Laurel

Kim and K, my son is planning on joining the navy....I will be sure to alert him to those potential "errands", or is that just taking all the fun away? He is so truly gullible.

Sorry garmstrong, I couldn't resist commenting.

Lydia

Don't forget to alert your son about the ever popular "Mail Buoy Watch" scam. Poor guy has to set out for hours dressed in ridiculous "mail buoy watch" garb (which includes a rather long pole for retrieval of said buoy) and binoculars.

The gullible guys usually take this pretty much in stride and the embarrassment of it all quickly passes.

Trust me - I've stood this watch before and also fell for getting the left handed boatswains punch from the guys in the boatswain's locker. My arm hurt like hell for a week! Those guys are strong and can punch hard!

Kim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back