Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finishhed the third of Dale Brown's techno thrillers on my Kindle.

AL.

I started with Heinlen and stacks of books from the bookmobile when I was 12.

I have also read the Dresden series. My favorite current authors are Michael Connely, Daniel Silva and the early Lehane
before he got so literate. Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are also favs.

I always have a book going.

Congratulations! And yes, I applaud your tough love and willingness to continue to encourage the folks on the DIHA thread to get out and enjoy life!

As a librarian, I love this kind of a thread. I promise not to bore you and trust me, there is no shushing in my library. :lol:

Patricia Cornwell is my all time favorite. But only her Kay Scarpetta series. The other series must be written by her evil twin, because it is awful. :eek:

I work in a high school, so my guilty pleasure/job description involves lots of Young Adult literature.

The Hunger Games series is fantastic! I can't keep it on the shelves. A friend of mine just read all three books in the series in a matter of a week. She could not put them down.

Sarah Dessen and Lurlene McDaniel are favorites of mine. Dessen deals with the romantic trials of teenagers. Lurlene McDaniels books all involve tragedy of some shape or another. There is always a moral to the story. However, what I like is that the moral of the story is not just states. It is woven magically throughout the story. And there are often more than one.

My latest guilty pleasure is the Chicken Soup series. There are so many of them and they are very popular on campus. Kids like that they are short stories/essays and are perfect for students learning English as a second language. And gosh darn it, a lot of them make you smile. :-D

I always offer my services if you are looking for reading material. Jsut holler!;-)

Sighhhhhhhhhhh

Doesn't anyone read romance? Since most of what I write is romance, I read it a lot. Last book I read is titled Breed of Innocence written by my daughter, actually.
She is writing a young adult urban fantasy series.

Momofsixkids, amazon has a lot of free reads. Tons of them!
Great idea, trfogey.

Oh by the way, Dresdon Files has 12 episodes on Netflix. Love urban fantasy.

Meg, I gave the hunger games series to my 12 year old son for Christmas . He loved them. They are making the movie as we speak. When he talked about them they sounded very dark!

Romance oh yuck :(

What are you reading for fun?

Well, the other book recommendation thread that I started got automatically closed due to inactivity, so I'm starting a new one. Rules of the thread are simple.

• Series are preferred to single novels, but anything really good is welcome.
  • Fiction is preferred to non-fiction.
  • The more escapist, the better. Our reality pretty much sucks. Give me something and someplace to get away from my daily crap and routines in my mind and imagination, if not physically.

Here's my offering:

Recently completed the complete Dresden Files series. Think Philip Marlowe meets Harry Potter -- a wizard as a down-at-the-heels private eye in Chicago. 13 books in the series. First four books were a little dodgy, but set a lot of characters and plot arcs that get explored in the last nine books, which are a lot stronger.

Currently reading the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. The last of the ancient Celtic Druids (who appears to have discovered the literal Fountain of Youth, since he's more than 2000 years old and looks like a tattooed twenty-something) poses as a bookstore owner/herbalist by day and fights all manner of supernatural enemies by night. Three books, thus far, in the series.

Re: What are you reading for fun?

Working on 3rd book in Hunger Games series & 4th in Sookie Stackhouse series. Also reading Jeff Shaara historical fiction. Got through his 4 on WWII. Now on American Revolution & Civil War. A lot of other books on Nook.

And Joe MacGinnis book on Sarah Palin.

i have read practically every book by tess gerritson,she is brilliant.
mixture of serial killers with a bit of csi and autopsy all thrown in, in many of the books theres the same cop and md so you can follow there lives.

about 20yrs ago i read a series of books and have managed to get copies again............james herbert,the rats,lair and domain.
nearly at the end of lair and just domain to go.

i love horror books,they send me to sleep lol.........read all stephen kings.
one i did read by a horror author who died from cancer years back (can not remember the name now)was the regulators.
it was about these cartoon figures that terrorised a street..........it was bonkers.

we have a library in the next street plus a mobile library that comes round,you can order a book if they dont have it.

By Charles Todd, the Ian Rutledge series. Set at the end of WWI, mysteries set in England, with the Scotland Yard detective trying to hide his "shell shock" from his boss, who dislikes Ian. Lots of books in the series, beginning with "A Test of Wills".

What a great thread! And, keeping the emphasis on fiction being read for entertainment is good too.

I am currently re-reading The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John Le Carre. Not exactly a series, but characters reappear in several of his cold war themed novels. Call for the Dead preceeds this book. Tinker, Tailor,Soldier Spy and Smiley's People follow.

Waiting in the wings is In the Garden of Beasts, the latest historical fiction by Erik Larson. This one is intertwined with events of WWII Berlin. Others I've read of his are Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck.

I have to admit I'm reading Life After Death by Deepak Chopra. It's doing me some good. Before that I read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, Book of Negroes (I forget the author's name) and in the queue are Fall of Giants by Ken Follett and The Emperor of All Maladies - A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee (I have the book right next to me so I know how to spell the author's name!) Generally I like historic fiction. Great reads are The Power of One and it's sequel Tandia.

Just this month, I have read How to Love an American Man by Christine Gasbarre, Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen, the Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. Am now reading Black Hills: a Novel, by Dan Simmons.

I enjoy books by Michael Connelly and John Grisham. I keep on my Kindle, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, and re-read it often.

I've been reading the Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs.

In the bull pen are some Fannie Flagg. Need some humor from time to time.

rose,

I loved the Smiley novels by le Carre, but became far less enchanted with his post-Cold War efforts (although The Little Drummer Girl was a pleasant exception). If you like the Smiley novels, try the Bernard Samson novels by Len Deighton -- three separate trilogies, written in the last years of the Cold War and the first few post-Cold War years.

Anybody else a spy novel addict? I love 'em all, from James Bond to Jason Bourne and George Smiley to Mitch Rapp.

I haven't read most of the books you're talking about, I have to catch up!

I loved Water for Elephants, but it's been so long since I read it, I think I'll start by rereading it. I'm still juggling work, kids and ALS, so not as much time as I guess I'll later, so I'm going to start compiling a reading list. I downloaded an app from Kobo (?) so I can use my netbook as an ereader, but not sure how good that's going to work. I still prefer paper, guess that's why I'm a graphic designer to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back