Not open for further replies.

Turkey34

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
TR
Hi guys, sorry in advance for my bad english.

I am a male who turned 23 years old 12 days ago. My problem is that in December 2022, I had facial paralysis due to cold. This situation affected me badly and I started to obsess about the slightest illness. Anyway, back to the point. Although I could not give an exact time, there were clearly twitches in my eyes. It diminished over time and was the last time I had a tight eye. I didn't obsess about it, even when I saw that my cousin had the same problem, maybe it was luck, maybe it was a coincidence, I don't know, my eye twitches went away that evening.

Then, exactly 7 days ago, I started to have twitches in my body ( calf shoulder foot arm) and I also did a research and saw als disease and it affected me very badly.

Finally, I decided to see a neurologist and he said that my blood values were low in iron and b12. (My iron level should be 8.97 instead of 30) and he said they were normal. He wrote me some vitamins and sent me home. I am stressed because of my job, I am afraid of being als, I do not have any low muscle level, but I listen to myself a lot. Do ALS symptoms appear immediately within 7 days? My body sometimes burns like fire, could that have anything to do with it? I have a startle when falling asleep. It never crosses my mind. I do not have muscle weakness in my arms or legs or anywhere and my doctor said that you do not need an EMG and sent me to my home, but I am very scared. Does ALS show itself like this?

Sorry for the long post, I'll be waiting for your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Low iron and B12 probably mean you are deficient in other nutrients as well. Stress doesn't help. Nutritional deficiencies, which often relate to an inconsistent diet, can affect your mood, twitches, and sleep. Of course, I presume you were checked for illnesses that could reduce your blood levels of these nutrients.

I see no reason to worry about ALS, but I would discuss your feelings with a primary care clinician or counselor, so you can begin to feel better and be in greater control of your health.

Last edited:
First, you are only 23 years old. That alone gives you tremendous odds
against having ALS. Extremely rare within ALS being rare disease.

Your doctor said that you do not need an EMG and sent you to my home.
Many, many would be relieved hearing that after seeing a neurologist.

I can’t help be amazed the number of young “Could this be ALS’ers”
we’ve seen here who see a neurologist and he/she dismisses any
chance of it being ALS yet... they come back doubting a highly trained
highly educated doctor and they are not. But… Dr. Google seems to
surpass all the years of intense study the neurologist put forth to
practice Neurology.

Then the cycle of considerable Health Anxiety amplifies all their
symptoms. (Now you being very scared... is Health Anxiety.)

I hope your doctors get you on the path of good health for 23 more
years and 46 more years after that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back