Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
US
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my question. Firstly, I have read the sticky notes. I do have health anxiety, it started when my mother passed away in 2009, so I know I tend to over-react/obsess about things. I have a twitch on my tongue that I can see/feel that is fairly constant. I googled tongue twitch and ALS came up, which sent me into a spiral. I do not have any weakness that I am aware of, but I can see the twitch when I look at my tongue and now I keep worrying about it. I went to a walk-in clinic today as I teach 4th Grade and was finding it hard to focus so I wanted to get some medication/reassurance. The doctor looked at my tongue and said "Yes, I see fasiculations"... no other testing for strength or anything and gave me xanez for anxiety. It really wasn't that reassuring as the fact she could see them worries me. I guess my question is, can tongue fasiculations be due to anxiety/stress even when they are just in one spot ? Is it true that ALS wouldn't start with just twitching? I'm seeing all sorts of conflicting information online and really not sure what is accurate.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this.

Hello-

Sorry you find yourself worried about your health. I am hoping you are seeking appropriate care for anxiety.

In the Read Before, you will have read that twitching absent any of the other issues that are associated with ALS means no ALS. Twitching is one of those symptoms, like coughing, that can mean a whole variety of things- from nothing at all to many many different conditions. Your doctor felt there was no concern because you didn't show any neurological signs.

Please take care

Thank you for your reply. I have an appt with a therapist booked.
I just have one more question, does this apply to all tongue twitches, meaning those you can feel and those you can't ? I read that some people who are diagnosed don't feel them until they are pointed out. Sometimes I feel my tongue twitch and at other times I look and see it twitching, but don't feel anything ( looking in the mirror)
Sorry for asking another question, I truly appreciate your taking the time to reply to questions like mine that must be frustrating at times. Thank you.

It doesn’t matter whether you feel them or not. You can’t analyze twitching to determine cause. It is as Shiftkicker said not the twitches but the loss of function that is significant

Back