11/2005
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Sunny is our 10 year old beagle.

She was bred in a puppy mill and spent the first 3 years of her life in a small cage crowded in with other dogs.

Then she was sold to a vet school to be used as a lab dog. Students used to practice operating on her. At the base of her spine there is a white patch of fur from where she had been shaved to make it easier for students to practice giving her epidural injections.

She was scheduled for a terminal experiment but this was cancelled and she was put up for adoption.

When my wife went to pick her up, as soon as Sunny was released she was so excited that she ran around the room for 5 minutes and then collapsed at my wife's feet and rolled onto her back.

When we brought her home she was a bit freaked out by open spaces after spending her life up to then in a cage. Whenever we took her outside she would often just sit and stare. Even now she loves to find a hidden spot with a view, like our hedge, and watch the world pass by.

She LOVES people. She always gets so excited about meeting new people - she greets them like long lost friends. One of her favourite things to do was to greet people as they exited the subway at rush hour. Her tail would be wagging like crazy.

For the first few months we never heard her bark - I think that after living in a cage with so many other dogs for so long she had given up barking as a waste of time. The first time we heard her bark she scared herself.

She also did not know how to play. She would scamper around when excited but did not understand playing ball or tug of war. But she enjoyed nothing more than to lick someone's hands or legs.

She caused a few terrifying episodes running away a number of times.

And she could be stubborn. Whenever she did not want to do something she would roll on her back - especially disconcerting when crossing a busy road.

But she is the sweetest and gentlest soul. She mothers another one of our rescued beagles and spends a lot of time grooming.

We just found out Sunny is in renal failure and will die in a matter of days or weeks. She does not appear to be in any pain but I can't bear the thought of watching her waste away before us.

We explained the situation to our 4 year old daughter. She broke down and kept screaming that she didn't want Sunny to die. This was brutal on so many levels. I also saw it as a sample of what is in store for us when we explain to her about daddy.

Poor Sunny

Attachments

• DSC02013.jpg
    DSC02013.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC02007.jpg
    DSC02007.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC02004.jpg
    DSC02004.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01998.jpg
    DSC01998.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 155
Richard, I'm so sorry that Sunny is leaving you too soon... I think that Sunny is incredibly lucky to have had the last years of her life with you and your family. I'm not sure how old she was when she came to you, but I think that abused animals "know" when they're lucky to have been rescued, and never forget. Bless your little Sunny.

Oh crap now I will be upset about Sunny too, As you know I am an animal lover, and well glad she had you to Love and vice versa..

Richard, my heart is breaking for you. It is almost too much to bear. Bless you for rescuing Sunny and giving her a wonderful life. I believe she will be right by your side in heaven. Hugs to you. I will snuggle with my two furry babies extra long tonight and say a prayer that Sunny will pass away painlessly. I am so sorry.

Beautiful tribute to a good friend. I'm so sorry she'll be leaving your loving family. Hope her passing is painfree and peaceful.

What crummy news Richard. Sunny was very blessed to have you all. I hope she has a gentle passing. She deserves that. Lots of love and good wishes to you all.
Laurel

Richard I am so sorry, poor you, family and dear wee Sunny. Glad you have brought sunshine to her life and she has returned the sunshine back.
I had no idea vets in your country experiment on animals like that, it's terrible.

She is a darling, her pictures are precious, she had a second chance at love with you and your family. I hate that she is going, and I am so sad for your loss. They are like family members for sure. Big hug for a easy passing for Sunny, maybe she will get to the place she is staring at so often.

Richard I am very sorry for you and your family. Losing a beloved pet is as nearly as painful as losing a family member. She is part of the pack. Your pictures of Sunny brought on a flood of memories of my first dog, Major, also a beagle. Like Sunny he wandered following his nose and was lost for days in Toronto one frightening time. So sorry to hear your news.

Very sorry, Richard. We had to put down our collie two weeks ago. My husband was so very upset.

Pets are family.

I think was Will Rogers that said, "If dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go!"

I'm so sorry Richard, when our daughter was 4 and our 20 year old cat died, we had the cat write her a letter telling Nina the angels came for her. It' was hard on her but we would look at photos and remember all the funny stories.
A pet is like a family member. I'm so sorry for you all.

So sorry that you will be losing your beloved pet so soon. She looks beautiful. I'm so glad you were able to give her a happy life for a little while. Know that your family's hearts will be sore for a while. ((((hugs))))

Richard,
We love our pets as family members. I'm so sorry to see your Sunny leaving too soon. You wrote a beautiful tribute. I love what Okie said:

think was Will Rogers that said, "If dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go!"

Richard, sorry to hear about Sunny and what your daughter is going through. The lessons of life right, who is really learning here. I have two dogs, they are Bouvier Des Flanders, not a well known breed but great dogs. I like them more than I like most people I know. I will be thinking of you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back