Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Lansing
Will I be able to use my gait belt again after my diaphragm pacing surgery (DPS)? Maybe not at first, but I would like to think I could use one again after I am feeling better. I would like to hear from others who have had the surgery (or know of someone who has had the surgery) and are restricted to using a wheelchair with a gait belt for transfers. My surgery is scheduled for February 27, and I am getting conflicting opinions from the nurses and doctors from my ALS clinic. I would love to hear from someone who has already been through this experience.

Blessings to all,

At first it may be a little sore, but after a week or so it should be no problem. The 4 laproscopic incision sites in the abdomen will heal completely. The site where the 5 wires exits is midway between the bottom of the ribcage and the nipple (can I say nipple?) and so it should be well above the area where you attach the gait belt.

Good luck with your surgery. Send me a visitor message if you have any more questions.

-Tom

Are you sure that you have PLS?
My doctor tells me that one characteristic enjoyed by those with PLS is that the diaphragm muscles remain unaffected. Would you receive more responses in the general forum?

Thank you Tom - that is good news indeed. It really helps to get a firsthand account from someone who has had the DPS surgery and is using a gait belt to transfer. It is as I suspected, and I plan on using a Hoyer Lift for the first week at a minimum due to the soreness of that area after surgery.

Carla S

Dear Bad Balance,
Well the answer is "yes", I am sure I have ALS. You are correct however, in that I would have gotten a better response in the general forum for ALS patients. I apologize for my "rookie" mistake - I just joined and of course, my very first post was made in the wrong discussion thread! I have already received the answer I was looking for, thanks to a very helpful member!

Many thanks for your tip,
Carla S

Can I answer my own Reply? I have made another "rookie" mistake - my answer to "Bad Balance" didn't really address his question, which was "are you sure that you have PLS". I do not have PLS - I have ALS actually.

Carla S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back