Country
MAS
State
selangor
City
kuala lumpur
Good day everyone,

i am a male 24 to be start with.

since 4 weeks ago i started to have muscle twitching around my body, it can twitch any place you can name of, hand , leg, body, torso, butt, face and etc

i never had any twitching like this before in my life. small eyelid twitch and muscle twitch is yes but not like this

i must said i am actually in a great anxiety 3 days before the twitching started.
i not sure i can relate it to the anxiety.( i hope i can)

but am i able to rule out the possibility of ALS?
i have some fatigue on my leg and hand and some light pain in the muscle.

does ALS twitch started in one group of muscle or it started like mine"? twitch around the body

is there any way i can check for myself to make sure i have no muscle weakness or atrophy. (i am not aware of just some light fatigue on my limbs)

any helps or word of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
best wishes
bryan

Bryan, you most likely have benign fasciculation syndrome or BFS.

I have twitched for 20 years, and mine started suddenly one night in college, all over my body. It woke me up in the middle of the night doing it, and it has come and gone ever since. That was also a time of high anxiety for me.

Don't do any self-testing of anything - your mind will play tricks on you and will only increase your anxiety. It is annoying at first but you get used to it. If that is your only symptom you have no worries.

Hope this helps - it might help you to see a neuro to help calm your fears, but I am guessing they will not find anything at all right now.

Best wishes...

hi ktmj

thanks for the kind reply,

yeah i heard about BFS, i wouldn't worry this much if it is BFS..

i just hope that i can rule out the ALS.

it just frightening when any part of your body could twitch, and it comes in split second, fast and not long lasting..

its like it twitch here for one sec and than other part for 1 sec.

its been 3 weeks now :(

Hi, Bryan ...

1) Twitching all around the body is not ALS.

2) There's no way to "test" for ALS muscle weakness, because we all are individuals. A highly muscled big man could be experiencing a 10% loss of muscle strength, and he'd still be 2,000% stronger than a healthy small woman. So what objective test could you come up with to determine which of them is losing muscle strength?

This is how ALS weakness is discovered: If you are able to perform all your usual daily activites with no problem, then you don't have muscle weakness. If suddenly you find that you can't turn a key in a lock, or you can't lift a weight that you could before, and if this weakness persists, then you may be losing muscle and should consult a doctor.

If you are aware that you were under great anxiety a couple days before your symptoms started, then you've answered your own question. Anxiety can produce EXACTLY the symptoms you report, i.e., BFS. ALS does not produce those symptoms. But having come up with ALS out of the blue, you are now feeding your anxiety, and thus increasing and prolonging your symptoms. Deal with your anxiety, and the symptoms will probably go away. And/or you'll learn how to live with your body with all its tics and tremors.

Good luck.

Hi bethU,

Thanks for the reply,

I think is most probally caused by anxiety,

and your explaination has comfort me so much, its good that i can rule out the possibility of ALS.

i try to keep my anxiety control and i keep this thread posted with my updates.

thanks for all the kind hearted people on this forum. keep up the good works.

best wishes,
bryan

I agree with the others that have posted for you. ALS does not typically present itself with wide-spread twitching. Sounds a lot like BFS to me.

If you really want to know from a medical professional, see your GP. If the GP thinks its worth a referral to a neurologist for further study, on you go.

In the meantime, it would be good if you were to get your mind off your twitches. Occupy your mind with thoughts of a different nature. The more anxiety you have, the worse your twitching is likely to get.

Zaphoon

hi thanks zaphoon for the reassurance

I not trying to be Pessimistic here, i just wanted to tell the thing i'm having now, hope some one with similiar experience or knownledge can share a few words,

currently (today) i having this constantly muscle pain(not a sharp pain but like light muscle pain) on my bisep and lower arm, after the pain dissappear, i feel fatigue on my hand like i don't have the energy to hold things.

now i am typing and my hand holding the mouse is not feeling too normal for me, its like tired of worked out of something like that( i do not sure i having problem doing daily task, but just a bit tired on my muscles)

of course my muscle twitching still happened randomly, few minutes gap constantly twitching around my body(sometime in my left inner ear,eyelid,lip,hand,leg,body,butt,etc)

i do not know what happened, do you guys suggest me to see a neurology doctor?

P.S i also feeling something in my throat constantly when i'm swallowing, had some light headed(sometime dizzy), tinnitus in my ear,

1.)are my symptoms suggesting slightest chance of ALS or not at all
2.)will ALS caused feeling something in my throat, light headed,tinnitus,fatigue hand?

thanks
be well.
bryan

If you are having muscle pain and swallowing issues, I'd go and get checked out by the GP you see. If he feels a referral to a neurologist is warranted, he'll give it to you.

Muscle "pain" is not usually associated with ALS. ALS damages motor nerves, not sensory nerves. You can, however, have a feeling of muscle fatigue with ALS.

There are a large number of disorders that affect muscle groups of all sorts that are much more treatable than ALS. Even a pinched nerve can cause the difficulties you've been having or a number of different neuropathies for that matter.

If you see a doctor, at least some of your anxiety may go away.

Zaphoon

Bryan, it still doesn't sound to me like ALS ... but there are other conditions that could be causing your symptoms, and I'd suggest you get checked out. If something else is going on, it might be something your doctor will know how to treat.

The feeling that there is something in your throat is one of the most common symptoms of anxiety. I've not heard of it connected to ALS.

Also, the dizziness and tintinus are not characteristic of ALS, but could be caused a huge variety of things, from blood pressure to inner ear problems. I agree with Zaphoon ... start with your regular doctor and see what he says.

Good luck.

thanks, i am going to a GP soon

just a quick question

nausea is not common in ALS too right?

thanks all the helps.

Right ... never heard of nausea in connection with ALS ... it's not a symptom!

the twitching seem like getting less frequent some time.

but my leg and hand still constantly feeling weak/fatigue and slightly musle pain,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back