Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Nebraska
City
Scottsbluff
I am having issues with swallowing. Choking on water a d liquids more often. Has seallow,study only showed that some fluids leak into throat but clear when I swallow. They also saw my hyoid bone comes up but barely goes forward as it should. They noted that but didn't seem concerned I. Any get an answer as to why or if it is even normal for some people. I also am noticing that when I drink liwuids,small traces go up my nose and juices from food I'm eating. I looked in mirror and noticed the soft palate barely rises when I say ahhh. It's like my soft palate isn't working right to me. It is becoming more frequent. Is this in any way symptoms of bulbar issues? Thank you.

If you think you have something going on, stop trying to self diagnose on the internet and work with your PCP. Let him follow the evidence where ever it goes. We can't diagnose you, we are not drs.

Vincent

Mjyoung, back in early May (2017) you posted related symptoms to this Thread. One of the Moderators suggested you see a doctor. You followed with...

"I have but all they want to say is it's in my head. I've seen several nobody seems concerned which makes me more anxious."

So... apparently you have seen more than one doctor. To continue here is not going to answer your questions.

Go back to the doctors you have seen... tell them the issues persist, you are still concerned and it is now causing you amplified anxiety.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just asking if this is something that could be related to the start of bulbar. I asked several Drs. They seem puzzled by it. So of course I tried to search the web and there isn't any info on it but als popped up and that's why I asked here. I'm not trying to offend. I've followed up with Drs. The only thing discovered is hyoid bone not going forward is most likely caused by neurological. So just wondering if anybody had issues like tjis or similar so I know where to go next.

Last edited:
Mjyoung74, once again but now I quote what I wrote above...

"Go back to the doctors you have seen... tell them the issues persist, you are still concerned and it is now causing you amplified anxiety.

But this time tell them you are now really concerned about it possibly being ALS.

Maybe some other members may chime in here but I'd guess you'll hear about the same.

No offense taken by your posts...

I'm going to Drs. Like,should I was just hoping for some insight about this from anybody with knowledge on bulbar issues. I guess I don't understand the bulbar symptoms or issues and was hoping yo get some clarification on what those are.

I can't tell you about all bulbar symptoms but I can tell you about my husbands. He had slurred speech for almost two years before he had any swallowing issues. He didn't have any symptoms that we knew of at all for 18 months after the slurred speech. Then the twitching started.

I can say that I do not have ALS and I sometimes choke on liquids and twitch... I think those are common symptoms caused by stress and just not paying attention to how we swallow?!

Thank you for your response and your time. God bless.

Oh one last thing. Whenever I eat my throat muscles get fatigued very quickly. I'm not sure if fatigue is a symptom. But it happens everytime I say. Throat gets tired. Seems to recover a little bit after eating but is constant. I think its,actually the base of my tongue on the right side that is fatigued not my throat.

Last edited:
Nope! Fatigue is a feeling... You don't feel anything.

Ok. Thank you again. I was under the impression that muscle wasting would cause fatigue of the muscle.

Nope,
In als muscle wasting occurs after the muscle stops working. It can't get fatigued if it's not doing anything.

Wendy

Ok thank you very much for your response. God bless.

Oh I forgot one thing. I have a question about nasally voice. My voice is becoming more nasally as the weeks progress. When does nasally voice set in. Is it after loss of control? Is it a primary sign? Or after progression? Thank you.

This is meant in the kindest way, so please understand when I say you really need to stop now.

Being on this site is not good for you, despite being told by doctors you don't show signs of als and repeated reassurances from us that you don't seem to be describing als you keep coming back. It seems as if you are reaching for symptoms to justify to yourself that you have this.

Being on the forum seems to be adding to your fears not helping them. I don't know what else we can say you need to see qualified doctors to help you.

Wendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back