Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Thoughts anyone? Does it make symptoms appear worse, or actually make them worse?

Hi Missy,

A glass or two I don't believe would have any real effects on the symptoms.
The effect of alcohol, if over indulged might give the impression of symptoms appearing worse though.

My views only.

cheers
Peter

Miss, this is only my thought. Anyone can feel free to refute it. If the damage is lower motor neuron bringing weakness and atrophy, alcohol would compound the weakness. Alcohol is also a depressant... so while a bit is probably fine, too much brings depression, emotionally speaking. If the damage is upper motor neuron, bringing about spasticity and hard muscles, it seems alcohol would be a form of relaxant.

As far as appearance versus reality, it seems like either could take place. I've had damage permanently from overdoing (recently, overdoing in the area of talking/visiting) and from allowing compression of nerves (in both cases, probably physical causes for loss), Alcohol can lead to falls, which may or may not cause permanent damage. I'm also a former alcoholic (although in AA there is no such thing. I do not drink, however) and I'm aware if I ever used alcohol to "help" it would be a slide into a deep hole.

As you can tell, I'm wary, yet I do know that for a person who doesn't have an "addictive personality" and is careful, there may be no reason for concern.

Hi Miss. My husband and I drink red wine about 3 x week. Usually a bottle between the two of us. As Abbas Child pointed out too much I am sure would not be a good thing and would increase the risk of falls and injury. We are accustomed to drinking wine so the alc. doesn't really have an effect on my husband. He has not elaborated on how it affects his symptoms so I am thinking it does not.

My husband's biggest problem with alcohol in the past has been an inability to gauge how much is too much. Since my husband has so little use of his hands, he cannot pour himself a glass of anything! T oo much should not be a problem. I just want to make sure that it has no effect on his condition - weakening him. He is not getting enough to cause falls. I just don'[t want to say no to a glass of wine or beer with friends if it isn't going to cause a problem. I had no qualms about saying no if it does, though!

My husband has two glasses of red wine a day. The disease has affeceted his arms and hands. He feels that the wine gives him temporary strength in those areas. As far as I am concerned, if it makes him feel better great. Bev

this is a touchy subject and well said by abbaschild .with als or immune system really is are strength it has to stay as healthy as can be. drinking not only could lead to falls but it suppresses are system .all i can say is it r4eally 2worth the chance of causing more harm .or is it a tool being used to escape from reality that you have als.im no doctor but i know most of the medications givin for als says not to consume alchol with it .think before you drink

If it were up to me, no question - no alcohol.

There are multiple studies that show a glass or two of wine or beer have positive effects on the body. Granted none of them are directly related to ALS. If you worry about everything that might cause a problem he'll get what celery juice and rice cakes? Like anything else enjoy but in moderation.

You are right Jeff. I just get so scared of falls. He fell twice today. First one wasn't bad. The second one, he went down face forward and has a huge egg on his cheek and seems to have bruised his ribs. This was without any alcohol! I think it might be time for the walker full time.

My PALS has a walker, but will not use it. He does use his cane in the house, and we have had no falls for 3 months or so. The walker just "SCREAMS"old useless and disabled" to him. We did get a great knee brace, and have another one on order, as it gives him more stability. He does not drink, and any alcohol consumption by me is upsetting to him, so I refrain. HUGS Lori

I think it might be time for a wheelchair evaluation as it takes 6 - 8 weeks to get it once ordered. If you're going to a clinic contact them Monday and have them write a Rx for a chair. You or they can send it to your VA primary care physician. He/she can then put in the order for an evaluation.

We have to go down to the VA to get in the system. We're not in yet, so we don't have a primary care physician. The Regional PVA service officer has put in a request for housing modification, van, etc. I'm not sure if she filed for an increase yet. I emailed her about it yesterday. Hopefully, she did. I'll get with her on Monday to see what we need to do to get things going with the VA.

I have had a beer or two through my peg tube but really, what is the point? Can't taste it, not interested in getting drunk, and it isn't really social drinking to pour it into a hose into your stomach. That said, I don't think that there is anything that says that it is bad for us to have a drink. Obviously it does affect our already precarious balance so be careful.

My husband had very very low vital capacity scores when tested at Penn and alcohol was something he avoided due to somehow affecting the breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back