Loved one DX
Diagnosis
11/2023
Country
US
State
WA
sciencedaily.com/releas...

In people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), changes in neurons appear to activate immune cells. Lowering the inflammation could reduce the symptoms of the disease, according to a study led by Chantelle Sephton, a professor at Université Laval's Faculty of Medicine.

In light of the above link, my brother, who has emerging ALS, is potentially going to start taking this supplement.

Does anybody know of any PALS that has also taken this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't allowed to post the link to the supplement, but here's the name of it:

Toniiq Ultra High Strength Ashwagandha Capsules

Last edited by a moderator:
Human safety has been validated at 300mg daily. The supplement you're looking at recommends a dose of 1300mg/day. Given cases of liver damage attributed to this compound (with mice suffering adrenal/cardiac/vascular/lung compromise), and the fact that the rx in the mouse trial you linked is a semi-synthetic proprietary version of ashwagandha, this is fairly dicey. At least start with a tested dose and get liver enzymes checked first/regularly.

Unfortunately, PALS are different from FUS mice and semi-synthetic versions of plants by definition are different in order to get patented and to make them easy to manufacture.

For those who want to track the compound tested, it's IMS-088. It's been in development for ALS for more than a decade so I'm guessing that ImStar, the patent holder, has had funding issues. It's only gotten as far as preclin studies so there's a long way to go. Presumably the hope is that the mouse studies will help garner funding or an outlicensing deal.

But if that hasn't happened in a decade, something else is going on. Maybe they're holding out for too much, maybe the CEO's a flake, who knows. That their web site seems empty is not reassuring.

Withania somnifera and Withaferin A same ?

i did. lowered crp (are you talking about this?) to 1,5mg/L. what is brothers crp?

My c-reactive protein is consistently less than 1. I take Theracurmin. I took Ashwagandha for about three years at a safe dose. I stopped this year. I'll see what my c-reactive protein is in March.
Diet plays a big part in inflammation. Naysayers will say it doesn't, even doctors. There are foods that are pro-inflammatory and foods that are anti-inflammatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back