Status
Not open for further replies.
A video would be so helpful for some who are a bit concerned how they would go in water, I vote yes! (OK but not for Mark, he's staying a landlubber ... )

Hi Chris,

Yikes, that sounds a scary experience. Like the others have said flotation aids might work for you, like the water walking belts they have at most Y's. Maybe go with someone at first so they can assist you to get started and feel comfortable so you can do it on your own.

I dont know why I can still swim laps unaided. My legs still feel strong in the water when I do scissor kicking, etc. and I still can manage sit ups so I guess my core is still relatively strong. I feel my weakest part is my pelvic/hip area and thighs. I have lost mass there, but no atrophy, and those joints often ache. Who knows with this weird disorder.

Good luck, Kathy

>personally I avoid all water related activities, I'm scared that I will get harpooned!

:)

The Y employees did put a "belt" floatation device on me. I couldn't keep my face out
of the water. I reversed the belt by putting in on backwards and that allowed me to
float on my back and exercise my arms. I get a better work out at home doing laundry
and chores. But the life jacket vest is interesting. I'll look into that. I dreamt the other
night that I was swimming without aid. I didn't know why I swim now and not before but
I was so happy that I could. I felt normal. Dreams are so real. I read or heard somewhere
that Jimi Hendrix remarked that he was more alive in his dreams than when he was
awake. Of course drugs might have something to do with that. But I don't drink or
drug and I identify. I can run in my dreams. Fast. I've played tennis in dreams. Waking
up from one of those "action" dreams and then facing my realty takes effort to work
out of the funk.

I have recently started approaching this with the attitude that this is a temporary situation.
Researchers will make a stem cell implantation break through which will reverse a large
% of symptoms. I am thinking of the day I will walk again.
I work in a very fun real estate office. I am the lender. I get chided daily. Speedy is
one of my many nick names. Comments like "where you running off to?" are the norm.
(I walk very slowly with the aid of a rollator). I now tell them that they can keep it up
because I will be back in full force someday and then I'm gonna kick their butts. I am actually starting to believe it myself. Before my dearest friend Gil died, he told me "DON'T WEAKEN IN THE STRETCH". He knew what he was talking about. I have that typed in large font and taped on the wall above my computer. It helps me most days. I spit in PLS's eye.

Oh boy, I digress. I am going to look into life jackets.

Chris, you are very inspiring!

Thank you, TB

I use a ski vest. It is easy to put on and designed to keep your head up. I can easily float on my back. Before PLS I used swimming as a major part of my exercise routine. It was hard to accept needing a ski vest to get into the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back