Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
user banned for creating multiple accounts.

Hello,

I am a 28 year old male. I am a bit concerned about some of my symptoms so I will explain everything and I would like your guy’s opinion. Perhaps I am over thinking everything so here goes.

I was sick pretty bad for part of November and December. I went to the urgent care and I test negative for everything including Covid. I was sick for about 3 weeks. After my sickness I developed pink eye and it lasted for about 3 days and cleared itself up.

Early in January, after the pink eye. I developed strange burning sensations in my feet. They burned but also felt ice cold. My back felt like a sunburn constantly. I had electric shock sensations in several areas including neck, scalp, face, etc. These aren’t overly painful just annoying. As a result, I was petrified that I had MS based on some quick research.

After this, I developed muscle twitching on my entire body that I still have to this day. The muscle twitching started on January 18th. I then went to my primary care doctor and he did extensive bloodwork on me and everything was normal except my vitamin D was kind of low. He scheduled me for a brain MRI and everything was normal.

Fast forward I finally saw a neurologist on February 13th. He performed strength tests, reflexes, babinski and everything was fine. In fact, I barely have reflexes and my babinksi was mute because my toes didn’t do anything. He wasn’t concerned about anything. He said the EMG isn’t necessary but he said he would do it to ease my mind.

On February 24th, I had the EMG and it came out completely normal. He only did both legs and my lower back. Said it was unnecessary to continue. I never got my results but he said everything was normal. He said I have BFS. Also, with the twitching I have also had a lot of involuntary jerks while my eyes are closed trying to fall asleep. My face throws itself forward, my hands launch themselves, etc. It also started feeling like I have bugs crawling all over my legs when I am in bed. I have had sleep paralysis where I couldn’t move a couple times as well and have heard audible voice’s before my body was released. I also bite down on my tongue occasionally at night and I chew on my cheeks so I have had leukoplakia in my mouth for two years.

I have also had trouble sleeping a lot because there has been a few times where I will be asleep and I will wake up with a snort gasping for air then sometimes it’s hard to go back to sleep. After the EMG, I developed post nasal drip, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing. I have pain when I swallow. Well, as a result, I scheduled an appointment with an ENT and he went down my throat and said my vocal cords were inflamed. My voice was hoarse and when I’d sing my voice cracked at times. He said it could be from acid reflux which I have a lot. History of chest pains, lots of reflux, etc. Now my swallowing is better but still painful, still got post nasal drip but I can swallow it or cough it up. It’s always clear.

My concern is this, I have read on here that resp/bulbar onset can happen like this. Please weigh in on your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there. Please read here: Read Before Posting. It explains why all of the things you list do not add up to ALS. Nothing you wrote would give a doctor concern for ALS. You were also cleared by a neurologist via clinical exam and EMG. You've posted all sensory issues. Twitching is as common a symptom as coughing- and like coughing, it can mean many different things despite what Dr Google says.

Wherever you read that bulbar/respiratory onset ALS starts like this is straight up wrong. I am thinking you need to stop researching online, as you've halfway convinced yourself you have a disease that you have no actual signs of. That's really too bad, as it has caused so much anxiety it's affecting your sleep and caused you a fair amount of distress. It sounds like you had some sort of virus and you're still struggling with some longer lasting effects of that.

(note- covid tests aren't always accurate, you can def get a false negative).

Take care.

Thank you for the response. As it just so happens, I tested positive for Covid today. My post nasal drip started a couple of days before my Covid symptoms started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back