Vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.
My punishment for saying I haven't been sick in two years is to immediately get sick with what seems to be a chest cold, complete with chills and aches. I should have known I was tempting fate. Getting vaccines when my doctor recommends forward from now. Though likely it's too late. Gee whiz.

shiftkicker you didn't touch wood when you were posting that?????

sorry you are sick :(

Chally,

The shot is changed every year to reflect the strains most common that year --3 or 4 different viruses. This year, trivalent (3 strains) and quadrivalent (4 strains) versions are available. For P/CALS, it is worth asking to make sure you are getting the quadrivalent. Only shots, not the nasal mist, are recommended this year (and the nasal version is not recommended for PALS anyway).

Some years the predictions are better than others, but even in the "bad match" years, fewer people who got the shot get sick and they also get less sick.

Best,
Laurie

Hope you are better soon, Fiona! Stay warm, nourished & hydrated.

Best,
Laurie

That $hit happens to me all the time Fiona , I totally jinx myself. Hope ya get to feeling good soon. Love ya chally

We get flu shots at work due to the healthcare setting and were told the flumist has been recalled. Havent verified that however.

Thread flu nasal spray was ineffective last year, so not available this year.

PALS should have shots, anyway. The nasal route of administration was to try to rope more people into the fold -- no one expected it to be as effective.

Just to reiterate about the flu shots. If you can get them, do. You can even get them if you are already sick.

A word of warning about thinking something is "just a cold" and not wanting to bother with the doctor- it turns into pneumonia pretty easily if you can't cough properly and/or have a compromised immune system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back