UMN Dominate ALS and PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piperl4 is one of the persons, I was referring to. Here's his post on another thread.

"Well Guys good news, After a 4 year battle with the VA over PLS VS ALS I won. The DAV and PVA would not help saying it could not be done. I did my research on virtually every appeal decision that was made regarding PLS. I took the approach as Johns Hopkins states it is the rarest form of ALS. Then I submitted the 3 best decisions where the Board of Appeals sided with the VET. I received 100% total and perm along with the add on for already having another disability rated at over 60%. They paid me back 4 years and 3309.00 a month. I already got my DOD ID card good for any military installation and it states indef in the expiration. My wife also received that and also champV medical care. It was a long and hard battle with not one person saying it could be done. However if you go to the Appeals website you will see that there are many cases of a veteran with PLS that won their cases. I found one in particular that linked to a case study regarding PLS and ALS. So in the end The VA ruled that I had PLS however PLS is indeed a type of ALS therefore they rated me 100% for ALS. A backwards way of getting there but I got it done. I did not even know I won till my wife called me and said there was one heck of a big deposit in the checking account the decision or rather book came a week later. Now for the bad news two weeks ago I had my routine Neuro check up, with a lot of testing prodding and poking and shocking and another brain MRI plus no less than a dozen or more test I had never had, and he diagnosed me with progressive ALS saying that the PLS progressed into ALS. PLS by no means is a walk in the park but I am finding out already ALS is a whole new challenge. So what was a good thing turned negative in a hurry. Fortunely the ALS foundation now has a clinic just 40 miles away so I do not have to drive almost a hundred miles to Johns Hopkins where I really did not like anyway. So good luck to all of you and I pray you do not have my misfortune. Dave [email protected]
piperl4".

Mike, in my case I had almost constant fasiculations in beginning. I still have them daily. They are most notable in my calf muscles but I have them all over. I also thought they only occurred in ALS but my neuro seemed unconcerned and reaffirmed the PLS diagnosis. He assured me I would be dead by now if I had ALS.
Bill, I was diagnosed in 2000 and my neurologist feels I have UMN dominant ALS. My EMGs have always been a bit noisy, not clean enough to call it PLS. I am not dead yet near as I can tell. No fasics and some wasting in my hands but not in my legs. Can't walk, breathing is affected and have poor fine motor movement in my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back