twighlightcity

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi.

For the past 7 months I've had muscle twitching going on. Pretty much all over the body but I'd say mostly in the legs and feet. And when it comes, generally it only stays for about 5 seconds-ish. The only place it will linger is in my feet. It can keep doing small twitches at the bottom of my feet for a long while... sometimes a twitch big enough to move by big toe a bit. But normally only when I'm in bed and off of my feet. I've got a video of what that looks like (though I don't think I can post links).

The throat issues came on a few months ago. Kind of a lump in my lower throat or congestion in my upper chest that is more noticeable at some times than others. Feels like I need to cough every now and then or clear my throat. I can swallow just fine. But the swallowing sensation feels different. Like a harder swallow. If that is ambiguous... I'm sorry :(

No balance, strength, or speech issues. Had a look over back the neuro doc. MRI, EEG, and EMG done when systems first came about. All good there. Neuro kind of brushed it off as "sometimes people twitch". But this is happening literally every day.

I'm about to schedule a follow up appointment. Should I be pushing for another MRI/EEG/EMG work-up? Could the first ones have been done pre-maturely?

Last piece of info is past two nights I've woken up gasping for air (once each night). I don't have any history of sleep apnea and I'm not overweight. I don't know if that could be in anyway related or just a weird one-off thing. Figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks people!

The existence of millions of undiagnosed sleep apnea cases is well-documented, so I wouldn't rule that out. And it is not confined to the overweight. There are also sleep-related movement disorders that can occur with or without apnea.

So I'd ask about a sleep study -- these can be done at home these days. Meanwhile, you can also video the last hour or so of your sleep, for example. There are also apps and if you have a smart watch, some automatic functionality.

I see nothing to worry about in terms of ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back