Reason
DX MND
Diagnosis
08/2022
Country
UK
City
London
Hi all, my walking is getting worse, I can't stand or walk unaided now. I know I need to use my heavy electric wheelchair.

Unfortunately I can't/won't use it due to my 2 little dogs whom would get badly hurt if I ran over them. They don't move out of the way. I was wondering if I buy a light weight electric wheelchair, will I be able to stand up/ get out of it myself, or would it move backwards landing me on the floor 🤔 ?

Hi, Sammy, have you tried a button press horn or other sounds they don't like? Can they sit in your lap or train to a leash?

Any power wheelchair can be switched off and will not roll backward, but there will come a time when you cannot transfer on your own, of course. That is where a hoist comes in. And of course a lightweight chair does not have the positioning options that are needed for comfort in and out of transfers, such as tilt/recline/height adjustment, and a contoured cushion.

Best,
Laurie

I don't have dogs, but do have two cats that both my wife and I love dearly. I would hate to run them over!

I have found that with time, they have become aware of the wheelchair and will move out of the way. I would suspect your dogs will likewise learn to avoid the wheelchair.

If you can afford a lightweight wheelchair and one will meet your needs, go for it. However, I don't think the dogs will be any safer with a lightweight wheelchair. They are still pretty heavy, especially with you in it.

Our cats dearly love the roho seat cushions in my wheelchairs. I have multiple wheelchairs, so there is always a roho seat cushion for them to sleep on! I try to keep the wheelchairs I am not using covered with a heavy towel to reduce the likelihood of a cat-induced puncture. So far, after 8 years of Roho use, I have not had a single cat-induced puncture. My Rohos have been punctured by other things, though.

Steve

Hello, I agree.. the animals will adjust. My dog was the same about not moving but is getting the idea. My pals is new to the navigation as well. Just received her chair the first week in October. She also is getting to the point where walking is dangerous. Her legs are giving up. I was wondering though….. she is saying her legs ache. Not like them falling asleep but an ache that is making her restless at night. Does anyone have any light to shed? Im concerned…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back