Things can happen very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joel,
You are right, the two-way radio is perfect, but hitting the call button of the transmit button would certainly be difficult without the use of one's hands/finger. Obviously something needs to be mounted so that you could hit a button with your head, elbow, knee, laser, etc.

My wife came up with a solution that fit our situation after reading your thread. It may not work in your case, but perhaps with some modifications it may serve a purpose to you or others. She went to Wal-Mart and purchased a wireless doorbell system for about $25. While a doorbell button is not very big, it is easy to mount about anywhere, and is very easy to actuate. This particular unit has two buttons and a cool option that allows you to program any one of six different "sounds". She mounted one button in the bathroom beside the commode and the other at my bedside. The bedside button can hang on a lanyard or be mounted to my wheelchair. The range is 150 feet, and the alarm selections are: Westminster chimes, knock-knock-knock, dingdong, foghorn, gong and the theme from the movie "Deliverance"(not really).

I realize there are limitations to the system; a caregiver must be near or possess the chime unit. But, I thought it was a cheap and effective solution for certain safety situations. Regardless of the device--doorbell, walkie-talkie, (dynamite)-- the panic button must be accessible and operable. Wishing you safe thoughts, Joel.

--Jay

I have found a wireless solution that has a big button that could be mounted on my wheelchair and the receiver closes a circuit that could be wired to the call button on one of the 2 way radios. This is really the only option I think I have as my legs and hands don't work well enough for any other solution. I am also considering another wireless door bell, because of cost, and modifying it to do the same.

I would post the device I am considering but it would only get deleted.

Once I have a solution I will find a way to share it with you. My biggest challenge is finding someone who will help put it together. It may never happen.

We do have a wireless door bell solution for in the house and it works well but is not suitable for outside as our yard is too big.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Waving at you Joel and your sweet wife! Sending you Prairie love this morning! Kay Marie

We use a Graco baby monitor. It has long enought range for me to walk the dog around our 5 acres and will pick up changes in the sound of his bi-pap, like air leaks. I believe you would have heard the change in air sounds even if they can not speak.

works for us

Penny

Oh Joel, how awful. What a scary situation. I am so happy that you are okay. You're an amazing man! Maybe you should try the monitor until you get your device up and running, so you don't have any close calls like that again.

Glad you're feeling better!

Well, here I am finally with a tested system. It works wonderfully. A dear friend, from this forum, designed and built a small circuit that is attached to the doorbell that acts like a swtch and can be used to activate other things.

Have a look. Calling Devices

Joel, it sure sounds like you have the communication with caregiver problem figured out. Now that I have my power chair I will look into all of the options that you described at least start off with the doorbell. I always carry my cell phone which is ok for now as long as my fingers work good. Just in case I get stuck on my lift again :shock::shock:

Joel, I was almost believing you were immortal.If you ever leave it will break my heart, for sure.You are so necessary here. Please, Please check for technical problems(why did that happen?)and get the moniter today.I just hope the passing out part kept you from the mental anguish,and physical too.How were you revived?

I mean it when I say this must never happen again.I cannot even begin to imagine the forum without you.Refuse to go there.
Thank God, I see you have a solution!

That is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. I cannot imagine losing you, and I'm not even your real family! God certainly has more in store for you!

Hi, Joel, I'm so glad you got over this event safely. It must have been so terrible!

Since I have not been diagnosed, being in the limbo of waiting another few months before having more tests, I enter the thread tentatively. I find myself worrying, however, about the idea your son would feel he had killed you. What can we do about this kind of situation? It would of course have been the disease that killed you, and yourself for saying he could leave you. The time may come, who knows, when something fatal does happen during the care time of one of your family. Maybe it's inevitable. There must surely by the odd moment during the day when they have to go out for a moment.
I've been wondering if something like a family confab to discuss this would be an idea - a recognition that this could happen and an acknowledgment that it would be no-one's fault? Carers have such a hard task anyway without this worry too.

It's so difficult for carers.

So glad you are better.
\Hugs, Joan

Hi Joan, we have talked about this and have a statement to tell the officials if something does eventually happen to me. It is essential this be talked about early. Thanks for mentioning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back