Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert, could you please provide some pointers to these mitochondrial disroders ? And are they fixable - I mean, would knowing the diagnosed provide any advantages ?

You mentioned hearing loss. It is interesting that at school my nickname was what would translate into English as "deaf bird" because of my bad hearing. But we always thought it was because of multiple ear inflamations that I had in my childhood. I think my hearing improved since then. My mother has neither hearing nor neurological problems; but she has diabetes mielitus, just like her mother had, which is also considered mitochondrial... But then I don't have diabetes :)

Sigh my computer ate my first reply (I was even typing it in word :( ). In any case... (Long post warning)

My neuro rocks! His nurse called me today to see if I wanted to come in tomorrow at 11AM for the NCS.

Lydia - My local neuro said that mito diseases can be tricky to diagnose. Since you are basically dealing with "defective" mitochondiral DNA, there can be a host of permutations that can impact everything from the eyes, to the nervous system, to internal organs and muscular tissue (Though I always hoped that if I was ultimately classified as a "mutant" I would at least get to shoot fire out of my nose, or something similar).

Hearing loss seems to be a common symptom in some forms, although it is by no means a required symptom. Does part of your wrist pop out when you try to lift something heavy, or do you have difficulty writing?

Thank you for the website info. Since I've been working twelve hours days with a design team most of this week (Yeah Provigil!), I haven't had a chance to read up much yet, but hopefully will get to look at some more stuff this weekend.

Rose - It is good news, though your deductible story made me feel a little guilty, especially since we squeezed the NCS in too. The mito. study will begin tomorrow after I swing by the hospital. Since it is shipped off to a specialized lab from there, it will take 3-4 weeks for results. We change insurance at the first of the year (though actually a good thing because we move to the Blue Cross/Blue Shield network). I'm hoping to get everything cleaned up because I strongly suspect the old provider will have a "don't know, don't care" attitude regarding claims.

Incidently, I did a double take when I saw your daughter's birthday. It is the same day as my mom's. Before the NCS got moved up, part of me wasn't wanting to be in the doctors office the first birthday since she passed. Then again, the other part of me figured she would have gotten a chuckle out of watching me get shocked (You have to understand her sense of humor).

April - Yes, mitochondrial diseases can often be diagnosed via muscle biopsy, particularly myoclonic epilepsy and ragged-red fibers where they are looking for a build up of damaged mitochondria in the muscle fiber. However it would appear that they don't necessarily get it in the first shot. In my limited reading with my limited knowledge I came across an abstract that mentioned two biopsies prior to a diagnosed of a case that mimicked spinal muscular atrophy.

While browsing the lab catalogue my neuro had to check the codes to make sure he was ordering the whole enchilada, it appears there's quite a bit to an assessment. I was peeking while he reviewed it with me and saw there was a code for DNA sequencing in another part of the catalogue. I was tempted ot ask him if we could throw that in case they needed to clone me.

That's interesting about the hunger, though I don't really have a good bead on what is normal so I don't know as far as I'm concerned (grad school combined with career effectively destroyed any semblance of regular eating habits). I can't remember if you ever mentioned having a vitamin deficiency. Ringing ears is also a symptom of pernicious anemia (chronically low B12), although you mention ear pain too...

Cindy - Thank you for the supprt. This different avenue of opportunity came at a time when I was feeling discouraged due to some progressing symptoms. Did you get any of this snow? Site visits in the cold stink, although I did get to watch a landscape architect almost slide down a hill today.

Ptich - Unfortunately, there is no cure for mitochondrial disorders at the present. I have read that some people get symptomatic relief from vitamin therapy, depending on the type of disorder. Like many chronic conditions that can affect the nervous system, it seems a lot of hope is being placed on embryonic research. I still think the diagnosis is worthwhile because mitochondrial disorders can run the full spectrum, and while some can be severe, I get the impression that others can be managed reasonably well. I think that a person knowing they had a mild to relatively severe mitochondrial disease would be more at peace than a person without a diagnosed who couldn’t shake the lingering fear of NMD.

I'll post some links if I come across any good ones besides the one Lydia already mentioned.

Unlike other genetic traits mitochondrial DNA is inherited entirely from the maternal line. I really don't know how mitochondrial disease manifests as it is passed along. I am really just starting to learn very basic information. My hearing loss began in my late teens and by my mid 20's I had lost most of the "conversational range." The ringing came with it, and is constant (I can't hear the hum of a TV or the tone some cars make if you leave the keys in the ignition or the lights on). Like many people, I never associated it as a symptom of anything but bad ears until my neuro mentioned it.

Take care everyone, and I'll update once I get the NCS done.

Robert

Holy crap that was a long post once got that in there. I owe you some one liners.

Robert

Good visit with the neuro today. The NCS was normal. I had good response on the ncv on my left hand, and to my surprise he even hit a couple of spots on my shoulders and neck with the EMG. Everything looked good to him. We are both really curious to the results of the mito.

After he talked about neurological issues sometimes needing time to "declare" themsleves, we talked about bulbar symptoms. His take is that its possible, but since we've been at this for 8 months without a whole lot of progression (tongue still agile with no atrophy, and no fasiculations he could see), his gut is still that its not ALS.

He said he'd send me anywhere I want to go, including the Mayo (though he had a good opinion of U of U's NMD group). We decided to get the mito results back and go from there. When I asked about Lymes, he said that it was very very rare in Wyoming, and he had only heard of one case in a long while. Still he said let's go ahead and test for it anyway.

Good news all round, very good visit for the moral.

Hope everyone is well,

Robert

Robert, that's really encouraging! Your doctor sounds like a cool guy... (In my mind I'm thinking Doc Holiday as, after all, you are in Wyoming! l LOL)

The mitochondrial angel is fascinating. Today I was wishing I could have that instead, trying to dredge up some symptoms that might apply :)

Did you see the thread I started about the NIH? I think you'd be a perfect candidate.

Robert,

What did your nuero say about the mito and the muscle biopsy being clean? What are you doing for the mito? Just wondering for my own situation!

Take care and that is good news on the emg...

Rose - I did see your post. I am looking into it right now. Thank you for finding it :D.

Your comment made me look up Doc Holliday to remind me what he looked like. He was a pretty gaunt fellow (suffering from tb if I recall correctly).

My neuro is pretty cool. Looks like he's in late thirties, built (you feel like he's really testing for strength), and nice laid back attitude. He will drop into a chair in the exam room to talk about what's running through his brain. I also like how he tries to avoid saying a test is "normal" but explains what he is looking for.

April - The study involved sending about 4-5 vials of blood to a specialized lab. My neuro said its possible for a biopsy to miss some mitochondrial diseases (there are so many, and they are so varied), and decided to probe deeper based on the maternally inherited hearing loss.

Take care,

Robert

Last edited:
Robert,
That's great news from your neuro,
take good care and keep us in the loop,
brenda

> I think that a person knowing they had a mild to relatively severe mitochondrial
> disease would be more at peace than a person without a diagnosed who couldn’t shake the
> lingering fear of NMD.

Robert, I think you meant MND (Motor-Neuron disease), and not NMD (Neuro-Muscular Disease). NMD is a more generic term that includes MND, and most of them are non-fatal.

Ptich. You are right, I meant MND disease. Thanks for the catch.

Robert

Robert.... have the labs come back yet re: the mitochondria? :smile:

Rose,

Thanks for checking up. They should be back any day now. The lab said they received the sample on the 4th of December and it takes 3-4 weeks to deliver the results. I was going to call my neuro's office on Monday if I don't hear back sooner.

Happy New Year :D

Robert

Mito study back

Well I got the mitochondrial study results back... and they were normal. While that is a good thing (mito disease are incurable and can have some nasty symptoms), I am no closer to understanding what is going on. Some of my symptoms seem to be progressing, and since the muscle started thinning out in my wrist and hand, I have honestly been a bit nervous.

Didn't speak with the neuro yet. His nurse gave me the results. he is supposed to be calling me back in the next day or so. I guess I am going to ask to go to the Mayo Scottsdale. If things were staying more or less the same, I would be comfortable doing the 2-3 month check up thing. I am going to take one last hard stab, and then I guess I need to accept "wait and see."

Sigh... this is starting to wear me down.

Robert

Robert ~

Well, I am sorry that you are no further along with that study or answers. I wonder if the blood work is a for sure no, or can it take time to show?

It seems that we are on a similiar path, with one last hard look. I have had my sx for a year now and been seeing a nuero since march/april of last year. I would think something would show at cleavland, I am nervous as well. And if nothing does show up there I will have to accept the 'wait and see' as well.....

I feel worn down as well, I barely have it in me to chase down all these records....but we push foward with hope. And thankful hearts that we are here with our families. My neigbor died monday night in a tragic car accident and left 3 teen boys and a wife. VERY sad, we just never know and must be thankful for what we have been blessed with thus far.

April

Robert, what a disappointment. I know that many of the mito disorders can have nasty issues but I really believed they could be manageable compared to some of the alternatives out there. I was so hoping this would provide answers for you. You had DNA testing done, right (?). Do they check for a bunch of mutations or just a few or what? Could they have missed one I wonder? How much confidence can you place in the results?

I understand being tired, and taking that deep breath for one last hard look before hunkering down for the interminable wait & see. I hope the Mayo plays out well for you.

April, what awful news about your neighbor. I try to live understanding that any moment can be the last but still let stupid crap interfere. I will be praying for his family; the boys, his wife. Heartbreaking...

Lydia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back