Diagnosis
02/2019
Country
US
State
NJ
City
MONROE
I recently spent a few days in the hospital and they say every cloud has a silver lining. The PrimoFit external catheter must've been mine. It's more of an envelope than a condom catheter and it's effectiveness lies in the suction created by a pump. However, after spending two days looking for it, it's only available to medical facilities, not the general public. Is anyone aware of another way to purchase this product or a legitimate substitute?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 12.59.48 PM.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 82
I spent two weeks after trach and feeding tube in the hospital with one of those. Pretty great and noninvasive. I've never seen such a thing outside of the hospital, unfortunately

Sans pump, there is more of a wrap style [QuickChange] available on Amazon that is based on the Purewick design, which in turn was infringed (per a legal decision/award) by Sage, who makes the PrimoFit. There are probably others in that style.

Re the PrimoFit itself, with an rx for it, I believe you can buy it on line for cash from some sites.

Last edited:
Thank you! I appreciate the info. I'll definitely look into it.

I had that fail in the hospital too because the hose got kinked.

I have been using the standard adhesive Hollister male catheter with only two failures in six months, both due to faulty adhesive that we can now spot in advance. If the catheter has any loose material when you put it on that you cannot seal by pressing just take it off and toss it.

The key is obeying the laws of physics. Have it go under you leg and off the bed asap and down to the bag, with the bag as low as possible.

In the hospital they had 100% failures even when I insisted they use mine because they insisted on having ithe tube go over my leg for some reason. The pressure upon urination on the front slowly peeled it off from the front until it leaked out the back.

My wife secretly moved it under my leg and no more failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back