Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
My PALS, Steve, is almost 100% immobile, and splits his time between his PWC and his bed, transferring by Hoyer. He has been wearing a condom catheter 24/7 for several months. We change it every day, and it has generally worked well. He's had trouble with it occasionally slipping off, but with a new brand of condom that has stopped happening.

However, after using the new brand for a couple of weeks (which may or may not be related), he has developed a small, painful open sore underneath the base of his penis. Putting a condom over it seemed unthinkable so he went without condoms for a few days trying to let it heal. Not fun, as he has become fully incontinent and it was impossible to "get there in time" so there was a lot of changing of chucks pads, clothing, etc. During the day I ended up having him sit in his shower chair on the patio with a bucket underneath him. Not really comfortable enough to be in all day, and obviously not a good long term solution. :)

Does anyone have advice for this? It hasn't fully healed yet but we have a guest staying for a few days and it's just impossible to do the no-condom thing in those circumstances. I read on another thread about PrimoFit, which someone had used for a few days in the hospital. I noticed on their site, though, that they said not to use it in a prone position, so if that's true, wouldn't work for overnight (unless having his head raised 30-45 degrees counts as not being prone for this purpose).

Is this a realistic option for the long term? Other thoughts? Many thanks -

There is an alternate product called "Mens Liberty." If a Doctor approves it, with the right wording, supplies are covered by Medicare (check their website). My CALS finds it as a better alternative too.

Thank you, I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back