Reason
CALS
Country
CA
State
PEI
City
Charlottetown
Hi I am new to this sight and would like to say hi to everyone out there who is going through this devastating disease with someone they love. To keep things short I have been trying to search the web (and have come up with nothing) to find out how to help or deal with the als patient having the stomach flu. I'm not 100% sure that she has it, but as it is flu season and there is a heck of a flu going around I need some advise in how to help her. I understand all the per-cations on aspirating and such but down to the basics....
best position to throw up.... best ways to prevent aspirating....

Hope some one can help!

wlecome to the forum. As far as the best postion to throw up in to prevent aspiration, I would think it would be to have the person turned to their side with their head elevated slightly if possible.

Yes sanderson is correct, Turned on side with head of bed elevated, if PALS has suction machine having it on the ready to clear out mouth if throws up is good tool to use. Good luck and prayers for quick recovery to your PALS. Welcome to the forum.

Agree with above and be very aware of possible dehydration! A easy way to check for dehydration in an adult is the color of their urine. If they are well hydrated their urine will be a pale straw yellow color. As they become dehydrated the urine becomes more concentrated and will become a dark yellow color. Good luck and I hope that the bug passes quickly!

Thanks guys! Things are going good now! Rough couple of days but out of the woods now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back