Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim, thanks for that one. I sat and pondered for a while before replying. I received a lot from those 12 words.
God bless, Janelle x

Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord— for we walk by faith, not by sight— we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. (2 Cor 5:6-8)

Bless you all. People like you give me hope which is something im running short of.

WoW, what a great thread. I'm sure it will be my favorte. I am a christian, and been one for years. Coming to grips with "Why ALS happened to me"? Was difficult for me to swallow for a while. I looked inward, then upward struggling to make logical sense of this burden that was my new reality. I came to realize that my knowledge, wisdom and expierences, I was using, were only that of a man. I prostrated myself then with what I'd been taught since I was a boy...that we as human's could only guess what God's plan involves.

I made up my mind then that my faith, and belief in Jesus would become the lifeline I'd use going forward toward the Jordan. I made a commitment that I would make it my most important priority in everything I'd do with my remaining days to be "pleasing in the eye's of God".

One thing for sure, I know that God's plan encludes my disease. Who knows how many people I will impress in my death? Why go out mad at the world? Why go out kicking and screaming? Why not exhibit peace, strength and courage. A Christian man unafraid of a terrible enemy. Who knows how many people might be called toward salvation using my witness as their example?

I've been blessed with a wonderful life. I've six suggcessful childern, 9 healthy grand kids, and a lovely little wife who is a real live "angle on earth". I thank God every day for the gifts in my life....and I thank him for this new chalange.

God Bless Us All.....Glenn

Glenn, praying for accepting things and actually accepting them are, as you are discovering, two totally different things.
It's still something I struggle with every day. Knowing that I am not alone on the Saviour's road keeps me going. Walking by faith, not sight (thank you, Annie's phil) will be so much easier with our friends.
To coin your phrase Glenn, God bless us all.
Janelle x

>a terrible enemy

ALS is that :-(

Wow, Glenn, what a powerful testimony! You have inspired me anew. There is no doubt in my mind that God will use you for His glory. I, like you, after the initial shock, grief and dismay over my diagnosis, made up my mind to spend my remaining time on earth trustingand believing Jesus, to walk by faith, to live to please Him. I was encouraged by someone on this forum to view my illness from a spiritual standpoint rather than a natural, human one. Since then, I have received grace upon grace, and the gift of peace. Yes, like you, I am thankful for the spiritual blessings I have found in my illness. God is leading me and you on a journey of love, not of fear, not of unending sadness. His purposes are pure and His ways are right. I will trust Him to the end.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance, which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls."
(1Peter 1:3-9)

Charlene

Charlene and Glenn and all other faithful brothers and sisters enduring the ravages of ALS in faith, indeed you are bearing a priceless witness to the faithfulness of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. I don't think you'll ever fully realize how powerful your faithful testimony is to those who look on as they observe you absorbing every blow with grace and the "peace that surpasses all comprehension". No one who witnesses it will ever forget it, to the great glory of our God. Your lives testify that He is Faithful and True! May His blessing continue to abound to you, my dear brothers and sisters.

-Phil

Here is another short passage that seems apropos:

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Heb 12:1-3)

Thank-you, Phil, for your beautiful words of encouragement.

"God is love." (1 John 4) Three simple words, but so rich in promise and meaning for our lives. There is a hymn, not sung much anymore, but yet particularly comforting for us who suffer on this pathway. I'd like to share it with all of you.

O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in Thee
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in Thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O Light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to Thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in They sunshine's blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to Thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from Thee;
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

- Charlene

Connor is about to be confirmed. We had commitment mass on Saturday night.
In his hurry to go up and place his commitment 'contract ' on the altar, Connor pushed past me and nearly knocked me over!
Now that's what I call commitment!
As many of you know, Wayne's dad, Peter, has alzheimers. To honour his pop, Connor has chosen Peter as his Saints name.
Not scripture I know, but I am delighted Connor is taking this stage of his commitment to God seriously.
God bless, Janelle x

This week here in Australia, it's the Joint Churches of Australia week...or similar. Sorry, if I tried to retain the correct name in my head I wouldn't have been concentrating on the homily and would have missed this statement from the joint churches.

"Let's celebrate what unites us, not dwell on what divides us."

Awesome or what?

Again not scripture, but I think, besides religious beliefs, that statement can sum up just about anything.

Like here, this forum. Nobody really WANTS to be here, but look at the firm friendship that have been borne, the camaraderie, advice, support.

We are united by a common thief, yet it is an honour and privilege to know you.

God bless, Janelle x

On my journey, I have been praying for grace to live my life according to these words:

Rejoice always;
Pray without ceasing;
in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thess. 5:16f)

How can we possibly do this in light of what we are suffering and facing? Yet we are called to this and to be "preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" (verse 23). Then these encouraging words follow, and give us the answer:

Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass. verse 24.

May all of you, dear Christian friends, be given grace to pray, to be thankful, and to rejoice in Christ. May we meet in heaven, "complete and without blame." Much love to all of you, comrades in faith and suffering, whom I bear in my heart in prayer. Thank you for your prayers, too.
- Charlene

I don't think you'll ever fully realize how powerful your faithful testimony is to those who look on as they observe you absorbing every blow with grace and the "peace that surpasses all comprehension". No one who witnesses it will ever forget it, to the great glory of our God. Your lives testify that He is Faithful and True! May His blessing continue to abound to you, my dear brothers and sisters.

-Phil

Phil, the same can be said of CALS who pour their lives out in love to their beloved PALS, carrying their heavy burdens in faith and prayer day after day. When the end comes, the PALS are freed to enjoy heaven's glories, while the CALS go on. You CALS then must bear unimaginable loss and grief, and face aloneness. YOU truly are a testimony and witness to the power of Christ.

Charlene

I find the following passage from Job especially encouraging when circumstances are hard. It refreshes strength when things seem bleakest.
-Phil

I know that my redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me! (Job 19:25-27) NIV

Thanks Phil. I needed this today. I'm in a sad phase, where everything is changing and becoming more real. My faith is strong, but my fears are creeping into my mind more than they were before. I guess I was secretly hoping for some more time before I became so weak. Thanks as always for sharing the inspiration you receive from Him with us! God bless you for staying involved with this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back