Not open for further replies.

Jd420

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I am a 35 year old female. My symptoms started mid September with sudden buckling of my right knee causing lateral knee and calf pain. A week later I was walking up my stairs and took a step and had shooting pain through my knee and thigh. I have had a knee and thigh mri, both coming back clear. I limped around for several weeks and now I don’t walk with a limp but my right leg is weak. I can’t do what I did before without my whole leg being fatigued. In the last 2 weeks I’m now starting to get muscle twitches in my left foot, right thigh, right calf, and right side of my abdomen. In this last week my tongue has had almost a burning like sensation at the tip, which I think is causing me to talk weird, like with a lisp/slurred. I am slowing down my talking to have my words be more clear. I was seeing an orthopedist and I have requested an emg study. My PCP recommended seeing a neurologist. Of course I went online and found this forum. I’m just worried.

I would focus on the most likely things. Are you normal weight, eating a healthy diet, properly hydrated with water? I'm assuming your GP ran standard blood tests, Vitamin D and B-12?

Lots of people get muscle twitches and the tongue burning is not a symptom of ALS. Did you have a viral infection recently?

Just follow doctors orders and get good sleep.

Best wishes.

Standard blood work came back fine. I have taken b & d supplements for years. I am a healthy weight and have a good diet. No viral infection recently.

What are the most likely things? No one has said much to me in terms of what they are looking for only that they assumed it was an injury as well and now that they can’t find one they seem more concerned about a neurological issue.

Hi there-

Have a read here: Read Before Posting. It has a list of some conditions. It also outlines what is considered concerning for ALS and what symptoms point in other directions. However, I really caution against trying to diagnose yourself, despite a very normal desire for answers. Keep working with your doctors to get to the bottom of things- if your GP says they think you should see a neuro, that's something to follow up on for sure. They would be able to provide you more answers, specific to what's going on with you, based on observations and test results. This forum is really focused on ALS, and we are not experts in other conditions, nor can we really provide the kind of diagnostic information folk wish we could.

Please take care

The bottom of feet starting alot over the weekend.

Do the symptoms I have written about sound like the start of ALS?? I am going to keep following up with doctors but I am very nervous about this.

Already asked and answered.

No, it doesn't.

Here are the results of my emg/nerve study. Thoughts?

Technical limitations:

SUMMARY:
1. Right median nerve motor conduction study is normal, including F-wave minimal latency.
2. Right ulnar nerve motor conduction study is normal, including F-wave minimal latency.
3. Right peroneal nerve motor conduction study is normal, including F-wave minimal latency.
4. Right tibial nerve motor conduction study is normal, including F-wave minimal latency.
5. Right median, ulnar, radial, sural, and superficial peroneal nerve sensory studies are normal.
6. Right transcarpal comparison study is normal.
7. EMG examinations of the right tibialis anterior and medial gastrocnemius show increased insertional activity with a few fibrillation potentials; there are normal-appearing motor unit action potentials though at submaximal effort. The EMG examinations of the right vastus lateralis and vastus medialis show no abnormal spontaneous activity; there are normal-appearing motor unit action potentials though at submaximal effort. The EMG examination of the right peroneus longus shows no clear abnormal spontaneous activity; there are motor unit action potentials seen while "at rest" due to patient's inability to completely relax this muscle due to discomfort. There are normal-appearing motor unit action potentials at submaximal effort.

Please see EMG data sheet scanned into the electronic medical record for quantitative data.

IMPRESSION:
This electrodiagnostic study shows:
There are normal nerve conduction studies in the right upper extremity and right lower extremity. There is no evidence of a diffuse large fiber polyneuropathy or focal mononeuropathy in the nerves examined.
On EMG examination of the right lower extremity there is no evidence of an irritative myopathy.
There are subtle denervation changes seen in the right tibialis anterior and medial gastrocnemius muscles on EMG which are of unclear clinical significance, but could represent early or mild active radiculopathy at these levels. Clinical correlation is recommended.

Alison L Walsh, MD

Unless otherwise indicated temperatures of the limbs were studied and monitored during nerve conduction studies and were maintained at above 30°C in the lower extremities and 32°C in the upper extremities during the study as per guidelines.

Reference Values
Lehigh Valley EMG Laboratory Nerve Conduction Studies: Normal Adult Values

Bold: Based on AANEM Sept 2016 Practice Guideline
Italic: Based on Preston and Shapiro Electromyography and Neuromuscular Disorders

Motor
NerveAmplitude (mV)CV (m/s)Distal Latency (ms)F response (ms)Distance (cm)
Median≥ 4.1≥ 49≤ 4.5 ≤ 317
Ulnar (ADM)≥ 7.9≥ 52≤ 3.7≤ 327
Ulnar (FDI)≥7.0≥50≤ 4.5 15
Radial (EIP)≥2.0≥50≤2.9 4-6
Peroneal (EDB)≥1.3≥38≤ 6.5≤568
Peroneal (TA)≥5.0≥44≤ 6.7≤565-10
Tibial (AH)≥4.4≥39≤6.1≤568
Tibial (ADQP)≥3.0≥41≤ 6.3≤5610 (w/calipers)

Sensory
NerveAgeAmplitude (uV)CV (m/s)Peak Distal Latency (ms)Distance
Median≤49≥17≥50≤413
> 50-79>10>50≤4
Ulnar≤49≥14≥50≤411
50-79≥10≥50≤411
Radial*≥7≥50≤2.810
Lateral antebrachial cutaneous*≥5≥50≤2.510
Medial antebrachial cutaneous*≥4≥50≤2.610
Sural≤59≥6≥40<4.514
≥60≥3≥40<4.512
Superficial Peroneal*≥6≥40<4.412
Saphenous*≥4≥40<4.412
Medial Plantar*≥2≥35≤3.714
Lateral Plantar*≥1≥35≤3.714

Median-Ulnar ComparisonSignificant Distal latency difference
Mixed (palm-wrist)0.4
Motor (Median: wrist to second lumbrical and Ulnar: wrist to interossi)0.5
Sensory (digit 4) 0.5

It's a non-ALS EMG. Your doctor didn't explain the findings?

I received the results through my portal but no phone call about the results.

As stared it is a not an emg consistent with ALS at all. What the interpretation means is there are very mild changes which may be nothing but could indicate a mild back issue. The current law that requires immediate release of most results as soon as they are generated means patients see them before the doctor does. It may be a while before you hear as they are not worrisome. Your doctor of course has to see their patients but also will be prioritizing any results that need immediate action. I am sure they will get to you when they can.

Often addressing the peroneal findings is as simple as doing more glute/leg/foot exercises, esp. in the morning, not sitting cross-legged, and not sitting on the couch or driver's seat for long periods, or using adequate support/cushioning if you do.

You can also ask your PCP to order a PT evaluation.

I finally see my neurologist on Monday. I am also now having pain on the left side of throat, back by the tongue and up in the adenoids. I saw ENT and they see inflammation but can’t figure out what it’s from. Tonight I had terrible nasal regurgitation where my food went up my nose and I was blowing food out of it.

Perhaps take a cough lozenge and eat more slowly. Since you don't have ALS, any new symptoms should be brought to your doc, not an ALS forum.

Good luck and take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back