Diagnosis
02/2024
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Speaking with tracheostomy on the ventilator? Anyone using a speaking value while using the ventaltor? My dad was told he could and now they say he cant get off the ventilator to get a speaking valve?!

Welcome Adroit,

My husband was on a trach and vent for 8 years. For approx 6 of those, he was able to speak with the trach. He did not have a speaking valve. The way we worked it, as directed by his physician, is the cuff on the trach was deflated and he was able to talk around it. The cuff, in case you medical team has not advised you, is a ballon around the bottom that is inside his trachea. With the air left of out the balloon, the air can get around the trach and up past the vocal cords. We never opted for a speaking valve, because eventually he would not be able to use his arms and that would be needed for the valve.

I hope I have explained this in a way you can understand.

Hugs and best of luck,

I can only mumble gibberish even without a trach so I suspect it won't work for me regardless? Lol

Yes, talking with a trach, speaking valve or deflated balloon, will not change how you talk, so if you have issues now, they will be the same after. It is the loss of muscle in your lips, tongue and probably vocal chords as well. I'm sorry that this will not help you. Do you have a computer with eye gaze? You can then type what you want to say and it will speak it for you.

Hugs

Back