Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure appreciate all the feedback and encouragement I get from everyone. It really does make a difference.

I really am not a madman like Chally:). I wish I was. But, I do enjoy getting outdoors and am very thankful that I have the opportunity to do so.

One clarification is in order. I have not been diagnosed with ALS. Rather, I have been diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease (MND) with definite Lower Motor Neuron (LMN) symptoms and potential Upper Motor Neuron (UMN) symptoms. The doctors have told me to expect it to follow the same course as ALS, and so far they have been correct. I have tried putting this information in a signature block to avoid potential confusion. So far, it appears that the signature block feature is not enabled on my account.

I don't have the pictures from my outing last week yet, but am trying to set up another ski outing for Wednesday of next week. Next time I will have my phone accessible so that I can have access to the pictures immediately.

When I do get the pictures from last week's outing, I will post some.

Steve

signatures used to work, then there was an upgrade and they only work for Nikki now.

no matter how much asking for them to be reinstated by the admin person ticking the box ever gave any fruit. So I have my signature in a text file I keep open and I copy and paste every time I post. Laborious ...
People probably wonder why Barbie was always referred by me as the warrior princess - well it used to be in her signature ...
but I don't want to hijack this wonderful thread to complain about something that just gets up my nose.

You are enough of a madman to give us all so much joy to share your trials, tribulations, fixes and adventures!

I don't think you need to explain that what you have is not quite fitting all the scale to say full blown ALS. But it was interesting.

Keep posting, include photos, and long may you ride!

Tillie

I went skiing again this last Thursday. It was just as great as the first time this season, except I think it was even better:)

We skied the Sourdough, Flapjack, Ramshorn, Lodgepole, Ledges, Columbine, International, and Bear Tree runs.

The weather was quite nice, given that the forecast was for heavy snow. We had over 3 feet of snow in the 7 days before the Thursday outing. The snow was great for skiing, but a bit of a challenge for the biski. I tipped over once in soft snow, but the instructors were able to tip me back to vertical without too much problem:)

It was moderately cold, but my tolerance for cold is not what it used to be. I have started wearing my old winter mountaineering suit for skiing. It is a bright turquoise blue, two-piece, down suit. There are bibs and a large parka. I look strange in it, but it is quite effective.

One thing I have learned to do is to use my wheelchair seat belt when wearing that suit. The nylon is quite slick and the first time I tried to drive down the ramp to unload from the bus while wearing that suit when I slid out of the wheelchair! That was exciting.

My wife will be joining me for the next outing, which is scheduled for Wednesday. Her broken wrist is sufficiently healed to permit her to ski.

I am still waiting for others to send their pictures so I can post them here. I am strapped into the biski so securely that I can't access my phone in it:(

Steve

Fantastic Steve!

I did get quite a picture of that slippery slide out of the chair though ...

Can't wait for more photos, it's great to live a bit of it with you.

I've never been skiing. I've never actually seen true snow!

Do a whoop for Tillie on your next downhill run please :)

I finally got the pictures from my first ski day this season.

It was a great day!

I will be heading out tomorrow morning for another day of skiing. I will be joined by my wife for the first time this season (her broken wrist has prevented skiing so far) as well as several friends. I am really excited.

Steve

Attachments

• 20160106_104743_resized.jpg
    20160106_104743_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • 20160106_115926_resized.jpg
    20160106_115926_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • 20160106_120154_resized.jpg
    20160106_120154_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
Steve,
That looks like fun! My sister lives in Denver and we used to go skiing all the time. Wish I could go one more time!
Marty

Steve,
It looks like you need good neck strength for the biski??
My kids would love to get me on the pistes again, but my neck & upper back are weak.

Ells.

Ells,

The way I use the biski, I do need reasonable neck strength. My upper back is the weakest part of me, and I don't use that at all when skiing.

The motions I use are with my forearms. Left down means turn left. Right down means turn right. both up (sort of:)) means slow down. Tapping my head means stop. I have yet to tap my head and am not sure I could do so in a convincing manner.

I do move my head a bit, though not much. My neck muscles are still strong enough to support my head with a helmet on, which is required.

There is supposedly a headrest for the biski (though I have not seen it yet). When the time comes I plan to use the headrest.

The biski is usable by folks with little body control. While I have not seen it, another one of my instructor's clients can only move his thumbs. The way he skis is different than the way I ski, but I am sure he has just as much fun. It is really a matter of how much control the client has vs how much control the instructor needs to have.

I thought I had skied my last run 2 seasons ago. I cannot put into words how magical it is to be out on the snow again. I went in the biski 5 times last season and 3 times so far this season. It has brought me tremendous joy. I also get the feeling that joy is a bit contagious and affects some of those around me:)

I just returned home from a morning of skiing. It is a bluebird day here with magnificent snow. I was up with my wife and some good friends. The biski just seemed to sing today. It was magnificent.

If anyone wants information about the adaptive ski program I am in, please let me know. Be aware that it is pretty expensive, because it is essentially a private lesson with 2 instructors. But, it is oh so worth it.

Steve

Thanks for all the info Steve.
Definitely will give it serious thought, I do so miss skiing.

Am so happy you're enjoying it. Apart from the feeling of exhilaration you get, that unique smell of the freezing mountain air and crisp blue skies are such a tonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back