Service Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my little companion, Ace. I trained him in directional hearing. He is so good that when I turn on the TV, he goes directly to the surround sound speakers and ignores the picture. Both he and I have been through a lot together.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 196
Ace looks just like the little toy fox terrier I had growing up. Such a sweet dog.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you KimT. There really is just no where that a service dog can be registered. It would be good for those who have service dogs if there were such a national registry in which one had to truly prove their dog was service dog trained. There are many fakes out there that make it difficult for people who have trained service dogs when out in public. Those are the dogs that have vests on, which anyone can buy on the Internet, but have terrible behavior in public - barking, not paying attention to the handlers cues, being generally disruptive - a national licensing would go a long way to reducing the fake service dog problems.

It's great that you were able to train your dog to help you and to be all that a service dog can be. A very good friend has done the same. It's not something we could ever do which is why T went through a program in which that's specifically what they do - train service dogs.

The worst issue that happens in public regarding T's service dog is that everyone wants to pet and talk to her. People do not like it when he says no. He says no because it is unfair to her and the work she is doing for him and unfair to him because he could get hurt if her attention is taken off of him. He still can walk short distances. If she paid attention to others in public instead off him she might pull too hard on the leash and he could fall. Fortunately he doesn't care if someone's feelings get hurt because he says no to them wanting to touch/talk to her and fortunately neither does she. They work well together. They are crazy about each other. Most of the time the public is respectful but we definitely have our stories on those who have been intrusive and rude.

Here is my little companion, Ace. I trained him in directional hearing. He is so good that when I turn on the TV, he goes directly to the surround sound speakers and ignores the picture. Both he and I have been through a lot together.

What a cute dog Kim. I'm glad you have him to help you. I love dogs too.

Hugs,
Deb

Charlee is on nighttime duty. This is so comforting to both of us I think!
image.jpg

That's what love looks like....Charlee rocks!

I love service dogs because they are so helpful to people who need it the most. There was this one special service dog named Rosie. She went to dog school in order to become a service dog. She learned not to bark at loud noises or when things fall down suddenly. She also learned to not be scared of people and not to bark at people when they came into the door or room. When Rosie finally graduated, she got a medal that she always wears saying that she is a "service dog." Whenever I hear about stories like Rosie's, it reminds me that service dogs bring a lot of happiness and a smile to people's face. I love service dogs and I am thankful that we have them in order to help people.

When I was in college and in one of my nursing school classes, one of the professors in who taught in the same room before my professor came in had a dog with her. The dog had a coat around it with a sign that said "service dog in training." I thought that was really a neat thing. I wanted to pet the dog so badly because it was such a beautiful furry dog, but the professor said that we could not do so. The dog was learning not to bark at people and he had to take a test soon on that and other things in order to become a service dog. Service dogs are wonderful for the entire public and I am so thankful that we have wonderful trainers to help train them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back