Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Texas
City
North Richland Hills
I'm almost afraid to ask ,is there a pecking order here? I was reading the thread about waiting a year for any big changes after we lose a loved one. Jim Va made a great comment , then later apologized for it, saying he had no right, and was out of line.What protocol should we follow when posting? Sorry this a long post , I have read snide remarks about long post too.Feel free to set me straight .

I don't think long posts are an issue, so much as a long post that is not broken up into paragraphs. Some people here find it hard to read a solid block of text. Particularly if they are using eyegaze or have minimal hand use. There have been recommendations that people try to break up a long post into more easily read paragraphs. Moderators will sometimes request folk to break up the text in order for it to be accessible for members who may struggle with such things.

With regards to Jim's post- Jim is a caregiver for his wife Darcy. The thread in question was in the Past Caregiver subforum. Nothing to do with a pecking order and more an acknowledgement that he realized the question was in a subforum for Past caregivers. People are welcome to contribute in any of the threads and subforums- and many do. The only real restriction is for those who are DIHALS- who are asked to remain in the subforum created expressly for them.

I was surprised with the second post Jim made on that thread as he had given such a heartfelt response in the first post.

These are the only offical rules, but the mods can use their very human judgement on posts :)
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/misc.php?do=showrules

The DIHALSers however must stay in one thread in that section or this would become a free for all and impossible to navigate!

Here is a more extensive list of rules. Very much the "small print", as they are hidden down at the bottom of the forum page on the right hand side. Don't feel bad about not knowing where they were- I had no idea they existed in such detail till a couple of months ago.

Terms of Use | ALS Support and Help Forum

One other unwritten rule is that if a CALS wants to discuss the heavy burden of caregiving and/ or vent about their PALS we ask it be done in the CALS section. PALS do read there too but at their own risk.

I am not talking about normal questions about problems you are having that may get answers from PALS and CALS but rather things that can be hurtful. We have occasionally moved a thread for this reason- not recently.

Last edited:
Hi Livealot,

Just a quick note of encouragement to feel free to post, ask questions, vent, comment, and be yourself. As in any forum, online or off, there are personalities and some just take some getting used to.

The main thing is that you feel welcome to express yourself and think of this place as safe.

Most people here are kind and generous with information. There is absolutely no pecking order.

Thank you all , especially shiftkicker. The list helped.I truly just didn't won't to offend someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back